JST Q&A article with McGee & MacKay

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
FiveFingerMnemonic

JST Q&A article with McGee & MacKay

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:14 am

https://www.fromthedesk.org/producing-a ... scripture/

Wow, what an interesting attempt to explain away the Adam Clarke plagiarism.

Sample:

What about the fact that Joseph Smith did borrow from Adam Clark. Does this constitute plagiarism?

Mark Ashurst-McGee: No, not necessarily, and here’s why. Plagiarism means borrowing without attribution. Since Joseph Smith never published the Joseph Smith Translation, as he had hoped to, we don’t know how he would have presented it to readers.
If Smith’s introduction to the Joseph Smith Translation had said that all the changes were a result of direct revelation, or that all of them were his own ideas—or even some combination of the two—then his borrowing from Clarke would be something that could be reasonably called plagiarism.

jfro18

Re: JST Q&A article with McGee & MacKay

Post by jfro18 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:41 am

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:11 pm

That's hilarious. And you know who is missing from this Q & A? Consiglieri's buddy Brian Hauglid! I wonder what he'd have to say. :lol:
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:58 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:41 am
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
For some strange reason, that's almost exactly what my reaction was/is. :lol:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:46 pm

Ouch! Eye cramps from rolling beyond safe limits.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:44 pm

This is similar to the Kinderhook Plates defense.

"If Joseph HAD claimed to translate all of it, then he would've been conned. But since he never finished it, we can only assume he realized it was not a true, ancient record."

and on and on.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:32 am

Interestingly I don't recall JS giving attribution credit in the BOM intro to Johnathan Edwards for all the phrasing from his sermons.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:36 am

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:32 am
Interestingly I don't recall JS giving attribution credit in the BOM intro to Johnathan Edwards for all the phrasing from his sermons.
I'm looking now and I can't find anywhere that JS gives the Campbellites credit for the idea of the Melchizedek priesthood, Swedenborg for the multiple tiers of heaven, the King James Bible for the foundation of the Book of Mormon, the temperance movement for the Word of Wisdom, the King James Bible for the Book of Moses, Jasher/Josephus/Adam Clarke for the ideas in the Book of Abraham.

Weird.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:40 am

jfro18 wrote:
I'm looking now and I can't find anywhere that JS gives the Campbellites credit for the idea of the Melchizedek priesthood, Swedenborg for the multiple tiers of heaven, the King James Bible for the foundation of the Book of Mormon, the temperance movement for the Word of Wisdom, the King James Bible for the Book of Moses, Jasher/Josephus/Adam Clarke for the ideas in the Book of Abraham.

Weird.
But everyone was borrowing back then, totally normal for the 19th century. So you see, no big deal. Image

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:58 am

Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:40 am
But everyone was borrowing back then, totally normal for the 19th century. So you see, no big deal. Image
I miss Brother Jake's videos :)

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:33 pm

Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:40 am
jfro18 wrote:

Weird.
Actually... yes? Except for the "no big deal" part.

Ideas about authorship and ownership have been pretty fluid through the ages. Here's a very short survey of how the ideas have evolved, which suggests "plagiarism" is probably the wrong word:

https://www.ministrymagazine.org/archiv ... urvey.html
William Charvat describes the 1840s as an era of “wholesale scissoring.”
By the mid 1800s, things began to change.
Now, trying to pass Adam Clarke's work off as revelation would definitely be fraud. Unfortunately, I think the apologists' defense would work well enough for believers against the charge of fraud, too. First, it's technically true, which we all know is the best kind of true. Further, they're unwilling to accept that Joseph Smith orchestrated much more obvious frauds.

IMO, this particular episode of Pay No Attention To That Man Behind the Curtain best serves as a bit of canker to eat away at the stupidly high confidence believers tend to have in their false prophets.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Angel

Post by Angel » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:44 pm

Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:14 am
https://www.fromthedesk.org/producing-a ... scripture/

If Smith’s introduction to the Joseph Smith Translation had said that all the changes were a result of direct revelation, ...
Did JS call it the JST? Seems like the name of the thing - "translation" - implies revelation? If not, then anything JS claims he "translated" was ....

wow.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson