New RFM podcast - John Gee Comes Clean - BoA apologetics are being obliterated lately

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
jfro18

New RFM podcast - John Gee Comes Clean - BoA apologetics are being obliterated lately

Post by jfro18 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:15 am

I think I mentioned this on the Ritner thread, but over the weekend there was a podcast from PoGP Central with John Gee where he spoke of the great evidence of the Book of Abraham that is Olishem... as Hagoth outlined in the annotated essay that's a terrible argument to make, but apologists do it out of desperation.

Anyway... in that podcast Gee begins speaking of how great an evidence is, then concedes that they have absolutely no idea where it is, and then speaks that just knowing that people are looking for it gives him faith. It's absolute insanity to argue that, and RFM put up a new podcast highlighting not just on that part, but on some of his other recent clips where he overstates apologetics and hides from his own writings when pressed in a friendly format to talk about them.

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/202 ... mes-clean/

Yobispo

Re: New RFM podcast - John Gee Comes Clean - BoA apologetics are being obliterated lately

Post by Yobispo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:01 pm

I had to listen to it as soon as it dropped. Our homeboy RFM is not letting these guys off the hook. RFM is a very unique blend - he has an aptitude for detail and argument, a great memory and he's organized in his delivery. He's a nightmare for FAIR.

Apologeticsislying

Re: New RFM podcast - John Gee Comes Clean - BoA apologetics are being obliterated lately

Post by Apologeticsislying » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:11 pm

I just saw your post here after I posted the announcement also. Its worth making sure this is heard!
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:51 am

What if we assumed the Book of Abraham was fictional? It would be within the realm of speculative fiction to say that
Abraham passed through various regions of time and space, allowing him to be in both Ulishum and Chaldea. These visitations could exist in the myriad of existence possibilities between Zelazny's Amber and Chaos. Just a thought and a four-finger glass of apologetics.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:38 am

What a great podcast, and as we saw with consiglieri's interview with Robert Ritner, it's clear that Gee and Peterson will say anything to lay out their apologetics and defend the institution that pays them. Some great catches by RFM.

I had actually read Gee's paper about the four idolatrous gods in the Interpreter, but I thought the arguments presented were very circumstantial and poor, and I just dismissed it. Little did I know it was Gee's smoking gun for the authenticity of the BOA. :roll:
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

misterfake371

Post by misterfake371 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:39 pm

We all know the debate is over. The Book of Abraham is one of the many smoking guns that demonstrates that Joseph Smith was a false prophet.
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. Ecclesiastes 12:13