If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 34

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
annotatedbom

If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 34

Post by annotatedbom » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:44 am

For Come Follow Me, Lesson 34, Aug 24-30, 2020, Helaman 7-12

If I wanted to encourage thought and try to understand devout believers better, I might ask:
Do you think God actually causes natural disasters?

See the Things to consider for this lesson.

And, here’s a list of some other observations about this lesson’s reading.

Enjoy!
A-Bom

Corsair

Re: If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 34

Post by Corsair » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:27 am

As always, thank you for your contributions to the discussion.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:42 pm

This is a really tough question. Either God causes disasters or he doesn't. I guess bad things just happen sometimes, but God keeps a few really nasty ones in his pocket for when people are particularly naughty? He certainly took advantage of that option in the Old Testament and when Jesus visited the Nephites. When the rare Utah tornado damaged The Sun tavern (gay bar) I heard many members jump immediately to the conclusion that it was God's work. Meanwhile the only person actually killed was an out-of-stater who was here for the outdoor retailers show. Maybe God's aim isn't so good?

If God really is the author of disasters, from the Mormon point of view, we should see a significant bias toward church members being spared and apostates and critics being smitten.

Southern preachers were calling the southern storms and western fires acts of God sent to punish the wicked, while local survivors of those same events were praising God for delivering them. I'm always kind of amazed when a plane crashes or a building burns killing almost everyone inside, but then you hear one of the few survivors thanking God for his mercy and calling it a miracle. How do the families of all of those who weren't so lucky feel about the miracle?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:49 pm

I chalk it up, these days, to convoluted thinking............it is, without question.....inane.
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

misterfake371

Post by misterfake371 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:34 pm

If you believe in a literal Bible or a literal Book of Mormon, then you have to say that yes, God does cause natural disasters. God rained fire and brimstone on Sodom and Gomorrah. God sent those ten plagues/bad things to the Egyptians. And in 3 Nephi, God gets really ruthless and destroys tons of cities with floods and fires and moving mountains around before the arrival of Jesus Christ.

My answer is, (and I'm Catholic now) God causes natural disasters sometimes with his permissive will, and sometimes with his positive will. Also, He created the world and the ecosystem and He got the planets spinning and everything, so, yeah, God causes natural disasters.
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. Ecclesiastes 12:13