Dad allegedly chokes son for refusing to serve a mission

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
FiveFingerMnemonic

Dad allegedly chokes son for refusing to serve a mission

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:00 pm

Apparently he got a little overzealous.

https://www.standard.net/police-fire/og ... bec11.html

Plenty of Bednar quote posts on his page:

https://www.facebook.com/ScottKWarner

Last edited by FiveFingerMnemonic on Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corsair

Re: Dad allegedly chokes son for refusing to serve a mission

Post by Corsair » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:56 pm

I don't want to take away from the sheer family tragedy going on here. It's a bad situation. My terrible thought is that it sounds like an episode of "Seinfeld" or "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia", but with LDS characters.

As long as I'm already going to Hell for pride and a lack of compassion in this story, I notice that bail was set at $3900 and it was not paid so the father remained in jail. this is not a large bail amount. This tells me that economic issues may be a serious issue for this family if they do send anyone on a mission.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:01 pm

"Family... Isn't it about time?"

That was an old COJCOLd$™ commercial wasn't it? That's what immediately came to my fluffy mind when reading this story. If your religion makes you want to cause bodily harm to your own children, you're doing it wrong.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:12 pm

His Facebook page makes me want to vomit. It’s as though he can’t think of anything by Mormonism. :roll:
~2bizE

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:14 pm

Corsair wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:56 pm
I don't want to take away from the sheer family tragedy going on here. It's a bad situation. My terrible thought is that it sounds like an episode of "Seinfeld" or "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia", but with LDS characters.

As long as I'm already going to Hell for pride and a lack of compassion in this story, I notice that bail was set at $3900 and it was not paid so the father remained in jail. this is not a large bail amount. This tells me that economic issues may be a serious issue for this family if they do send anyone on a mission.
Maybe the wife decided to let him cool off in jail for a few days.... quite surprised the sister called 911 instead of the bishop. Good for her.
~2bizE

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:49 am

Found out the abuse was regular and the kids are heroic for getting their Dad arrested to allow them to escape this situation. The religion sure does provide cover for these cowardly assholes!

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:16 pm

We'll give you your free agency punk, free to choke to death for using your God given free agency to not go on a mission. Feel free to die while I freely choke you to death! Yeah, that religion of love just makes me tingle all over.....
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-