Dressing for Safety at BYU

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Dressing for Safety at BYU

Post by moksha » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:38 am

It is wise to dress for safety when strolling the BYU campus. Women can never be certain whether they will set the hearts of the odd assortment of returned missionaries on fire with a glimpse of their ankles or a turn of their wrist. What is needed is full armor body protection, to keep the unmanageable Elders at bay, since it is after all the assigned duty of the sister to give them no provocation to begin a spree of rape and pillaging, which would end badly at the Provo Baskin-Robbins.

Help the Elders control their inner demons with the flat end of your broadsword.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

alas

Re: Dressing for Safety at BYU

Post by alas » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:39 pm

I like this modesty solution much better than the usual BYU immodestly modest uniform of skin tight tshirt and ankle length skirt. At least this says strength rather than wilting sexy violet. I really hate the skin tight Tshirt look and don't think it is modest al all. Sure skin is covered, but it still leaves little to the imagination and is downright scandalous on the vulumptious girls. This says, "mess with me and you'll regret it." Rather than "I am trying to look sexy enough to attract a reluctant RM to marry me, yet have my skin covered so the YW leaders won't draw on me with permanent marker to teach me skin needs to be covered." I think it is awful when you see a woman in leggings, skin tight Tshirt, with the garments showing under the thin fabric. And she thinks she is modest. Her garments are covered, even if they do show.

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:52 pm

I agree with Alas (no surprise - that is usually the case!). I don't know if the BYU girls show cleavage, but I have seen more exposed cleavage and tighter tops in the LDS church than pretty much anywhere I've been. Usually the cleavage is balanced by very tight skirts. I've also seen more of those spiky shoes we call "Wh*re Heels." Several women at the ward I used to attend (in an upper-middle class area) looked like they were ready to hit the streets when they entered sacrament each week.
Silver Girl is sailing into the future. She is no longer scared.

trophywife26.2

Post by trophywife26.2 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:58 pm

I'm really surprised the turn this whole thread has gone. While tight clothing may or may not be flattering or considered an elegant choice, the last thing Mormon women need is their clothing or lives further policed. I love what Amy Poehler once said about disagreeing with another woman's choices, "Good for her! Not for me."
Even if it's something disappointing, it's still better to know the truth. Because people can deal with disappointment. And once they've done that, they can feel that they have really grown. And that can be such a good feeling. -Fred Rogers

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:26 am

trophywife26.2 wrote:I'm really surprised the turn this whole thread has gone. While tight clothing may or may not be flattering or considered an elegant choice, the last thing Mormon women need is their clothing or lives further policed. I love what Amy Poehler once said about disagreeing with another woman's choices, "Good for her! Not for me."
I'm with you trophywife.

I used to love watching What Not to Wear on TLC. That show helped me see that there is an emotional connection to the clothes we wear and how we present ourselves to the world. (In young women we were always taught that people who dressed immodestly were just bad people.) The hosts on the show, Stacy and Clinton, tried to loving help each of the participants accept their body and to dress it in a way that promotes a healthy body image.
The church totally f@#%ed up my body image, my self-esteem, my self-worth, etc. I think these "modesty issues" are just byproducts of the unhealthy way the church teaches women to view their bodies.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

alas

Post by alas » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:41 pm

MoPag wrote: I think these "modesty issues" are just byproducts of the unhealthy way the church teaches women to view their bodies.
The whole point of what I said.

The church stresses "modesty" in a way that is very body shaming. Yet there is so much pressure to be attractive to catch a husband because that is the only worthwhile goal. So, the women end up with a warped sense of what modesty is really about. They think it is inches of skin covered while looking as sexy as possible, rather than looking neatly dressed.

The armor is an improvement because I have never known a warrior with extreme body shame, no self confidence, and the kind of modesty complex Mormon women have. Warriors don't worry about such crap.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:04 am

alas wrote:The armor is an improvement because I have never known a warrior with extreme body shame, no self confidence, and the kind of modesty complex Mormon women have. Warriors don't worry about such crap.
Especially when they have the right to bare arms!

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:27 am

alas wrote:
MoPag wrote: I think these "modesty issues" are just byproducts of the unhealthy way the church teaches women to view their bodies.
The whole point of what I said.

The church stresses "modesty" in a way that is very body shaming. Yet there is so much pressure to be attractive to catch a husband because that is the only worthwhile goal. So, the women end up with a warped sense of what modesty is really about. They think it is inches of skin covered while looking as sexy as possible, rather than looking neatly dressed.

The armor is an improvement because I have never known a warrior with extreme body shame, no self confidence, and the kind of modesty complex Mormon women have. Warriors don't worry about such crap.
Okay, that makes sense.

Also ((hugs)) to Penguin. Didn't mean to derail what was probably meant to be a lighthearted, funny post.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound