Shared temple rituals

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Shared temple rituals

Post by Hagoth » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:07 am

I was listening to a podcast (Oh No Ross & Carrie) about the Ordo Templi Orientis, which is Alister Crowleys occult church. It is still an active community after 100 years and the podcasters joined in to see what it's all about. The OTO claim not to be Satanists, even though they do perform satanic rituals and seem to think very highly of the Dark Lord.

It was the nature of the rituals that caught my attention. Not just the ones that involve a nude priestess on the altar, mind you, but the ones that involve hand gestures and tokens. There are three of them, in the first you hold one hand up, palm forward while drawing the thumb of the other hand across your throat. I can't remember the second, but it was similarly familiar. The third was not.

Of course, like the LDS temple ordinances, these gestures come from Freemasonry, but I thought it was interesting that the two traditions share some sacred traditions despite their divergent intentions. The big difference here is that the OTO tradition did not get embarrassed by their rituals and abandoned them. Our tradition, which claims to have received them from God, just dropped them when people started to sit up and take notice of their weirdness.

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Yobispo

Re: Shared temple rituals

Post by Yobispo » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:53 am

Oh NO Ross & Carrie is a fun podcast. I'm sure you've heard their episodes where they take the lessons and join the church. They were respectful and went along, it was very entertaining.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:01 am

Yobispo wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:53 am
Oh NO Ross & Carrie is a fun podcast. I'm sure you've heard their episodes where they take the lessons and join the church. They were respectful and went along, it was very entertaining.
Yeah, I think that's what got me started. Ross actually continued to attend activities for some time after they came clean, and kept helping the elders on their moving assignments.

I'm really enjoying the coverage of UFO conventions. Wacky!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:32 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=w1Axl9UEmzE

Ross and Carrie Go Mormon (Part 1): And it Came to Pass (Episode 4)
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha