If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 38

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
annotatedbom

If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 38

Post by annotatedbom » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:16 am

For Come Follow Me, Lesson 38, Sep 21-27, 2020, 3 Ne 12-16

If I wanted to encourage thought and try to understand devout believers better, I might ask:
Are some of Jesus’ Bible quotes in the Book of Mormon problematic?

See the Things to consider for this lesson.

And, here’s a list of some other observations about this lesson’s reading.

Enjoy!
A-Bom

Hagoth

Re: If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 38

Post by Hagoth » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:42 pm

Good one, A-Bom.

The one that first caused me problems was the talk about chickens:
3 Nephi 10:4 ...how oft have I gathered you as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and have nourished you. 5 And again, how oft would I have gathered you as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings,
This was significant enough that he said it twice in a row. I imagine the Nephites smiling and nodding politely without the remotest idea what a hen or a chicken is.

And then far out on the edge of the crowd:

"Hen? What's a hen?
"That's not what he said, he said men"
"Alright then, Big Nose, what's a chicken?"
"Obviously he was talking about kitchens. How often have I gathered you as men gather in kitchens. Not that often, come to think of it. And stop calling me Big Nose."
"Now he's going on again about the cheesemakers."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:26 pm

I don't see the chicken thing as a problem. I think it was worthwhile to leave the ancient Nephites/Lamanites in the dark wondering what a chicken is/was because as we all know, the BofM was written for OUR DAY see.

This is just further proof that the BoM is true. We are the ones who know what chickens are. Hec, I used to see lots of them at church. 8-)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:11 pm

Palerider wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:26 pm
I don't see the chicken thing as a problem. I think it was worthwhile to leave the ancient Nephites/Lamanites in the dark wondering what a chicken is/was because as we all know, the BofM was written for OUR DAY see.
Ok, I'll give you that one, but if it's for OUR DAY Jesus needs to use intelligible English names for cureloms and cumoms too, dang it.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:20 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:42 pm

"Hen? What's a hen?
"Obviously he was talking about kitchens. How often have I gathered you as men gather in kitchens. Not that often, come to think of it. And stop calling me Big Nose."
Quoted for truth. Much more realistic than what was claimed to have happened in any book of "scripture."

Oh, and: Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:44 am

This is another great one!

I remember early on listening to the Mormon Stories with Brent Metcalfe and he talked about how one of his biggest problems with the BoM's historicity is that Jesus gives the exact same 'Sermon on the Mount' from Matthew with errors and all.

It was really eye opening when Brent mentioned that Joseph changed farthing to a Nephite coin because he knew that was specific to the Nephites, but he left the Roman 'go the other mile' law in there which would have no meaning to the Nephites whatsoever.

It's a big problem... it's like Trump or Biden giving the exact same stump speech in Idaho that they would give in London, as if the concerns are the same or the surroundings the same.

annotatedbom

Post by annotatedbom » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:31 am

jfro18 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:44 am
This is another great one!
The reality is, I don't know if any one of the ideas I've published on my site is original. I don't often find a need to quote or provide credit because the ideas are usually so ubiquitous as to be common understanding.

jfro18 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:44 am
I remember early on listening to the Mormon Stories with Brent Metcalfe and he talked about how one of his biggest problems with the BoM's historicity is that Jesus gives the exact same 'Sermon on the Mount' from Matthew with errors and all.

It was really eye opening when Brent mentioned that Joseph changed farthing to a Nephite coin because he knew that was specific to the Nephites, but he left the Roman 'go the other mile' law in there which would have no meaning to the Nephites whatsoever.

It's a big problem... it's like Trump or Biden giving the exact same stump speech in Idaho that they would give in London, as if the concerns are the same or the surroundings the same.
But it is true if you apply critical and reasonable thinking to the implications of these things, it can get very problematic to the book's truth claims.

annotatedbom

Post by annotatedbom » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:33 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:42 pm
Good one, A-Bom.

The one that first caused me problems was the talk about chickens:
3 Nephi 10:4 ...how oft have I gathered you as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and have nourished you. 5 And again, how oft would I have gathered you as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings,
This was significant enough that he said it twice in a row. I imagine the Nephites smiling and nodding politely without the remotest idea what a hen or a chicken is.

"Hen? What's a hen?
Hahaa! I think I've said this before, but it's worth repeating: I wish I had your flair for bringing a narrative to life. Thanks for the chuckle!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:10 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:20 pm
I'm thinking maybe you can grip them by the husk if you have proper airspeed velocity.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:00 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:10 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:20 pm
I'm thinking maybe you can grip them by the husk if you have proper airspeed velocity.
:mrgreen:

(Apologies A-BOM, I am completely incapable of passing up any sort of python-esque opportunity, but I'll attempt to stop with the above smiley.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...