When having "Prophet Skills" could really come in handy.

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

When having "Prophet Skills" could really come in handy.

Post by deacon blues » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:55 pm

I enjoy studying Church history, and I keep learning about situations where Joseph didn't have a clue what to do. One such time is the first few days of August 1833. On July 20th the mob in Missouri confronted the LDS leaders there, destroyed the printing press and building and tarred Bishop Edward Partridge. One thousand miles to the east, Joseph with no idea of this, is in the first stages of designing and building a temple in Kirtland. He (or his god) decides it is time for the Saints in Zion to get cracking and start their temple in Zion, :o so he sends them detailed instructions on the design of the temple, a house for the First Presidency, and the layout for "City of Zion." He didn't seem to have any idea of what was happening in Missouri! :roll:
Finally on August 9th Oliver Cowdery arrives with news of the debacle in Jackson County, Missouri.(Zion) Joseph responds to this stunning news with a letter reminding the Saints in Zion that he too has been persecuted. He continues by saying that Zion's leaders are not to blame, but the Church in Zion is being punished for rebellion. :cry: He follows this with orders that no land is to be sold to the mob. Then he sends "revised instructions" for the buildings and City on Zion. :roll: It seems he (or his god) didn't realize they were about to be driven out of the county. :shock: Then Joseph leaves Kirtland, but NOT for Zion. He heads the opposite direction on a mission to Cananda.

These details are found in the 575 page Joseph Smith Papers, Documents, volume 3. Feb. 1833- March 1834.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

A New Name

Re: When having "Prophet Skills" could really come in handy.

Post by A New Name » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:37 pm

We could have use "Prophet Skills" this year with COVID 19!

Hagoth

Re: When having "Prophet Skills" could really come in handy.

Post by Hagoth » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:59 pm

It's eerily similar to what a megalomaniac might do who is NOT a prophet. But how could that be?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."