Coronavirus and GAs

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Rob4Hope

Coronavirus and GAs

Post by Rob4Hope » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:36 am

Elder Gong and his wife have it.

I suppose this will curtail the GAs doing their travel like they usually do. Why can't they just "bless" it away with the priesthood?

Thoughts about all of this and its impact on the upper leadership?

wtfluff

Re: Coronavirus and GAs

Post by wtfluff » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:10 am

Well lookit that. Gong is actually positive. All my fluffy conspiracy theories about him are now tossed out the window. :D

Since he's on the young end of the spectrum as far as the Q15, and he will receive the best medical care available, odds are highly in his favor that he will recover fine.

Rob4Hope wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:36 am
Thoughts about all of this and its impact on the upper leadership?
Well... One thing that this pandemic has shown is that "leadership" has nothing to offer as far as leading. Basic radio silence for the entire pandemic. No "leadership" whatsoever from said "leaders."

No magick to make the scourge go away either.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:05 am

A devout Catholic friend of mine posted on Facebook that 2020 US deaths overall are lower than 2019 or 2018. His argument was prayers work. Even if it is just a little bit.

As far as the leaders praying it away, i think the average TBM wants to believe in miracles but they realize they most likely wont get one. Its how they keep it sorted out in their minds. Yes god can part the sea but i am not worthy to be healed of a virus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:07 am

Hmm... I prophesy that future GC talks will come out of this for generations to come.

For example:

The spirit bore witness to me that I would be plagued with the Virus so that the Lord could protect the prophet by quarantining Sister Gong and I. We knew that our affliction would be a shield among the brethren, that our positive test would alert them to be attentive during the pandemic. I know that God blesses us with this for humility and protection to the Prophet. President Nelson is the true and loving prophet of God in the earth today and I feel blessed to be able to get the virus first.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:52 am

If some of those older GA guys get this, it would prove the end to many, IMHO. They are certainly old enough, and the way they use to travel can't be helpful for their immunity.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:00 pm

I am sorry to hear Elder Gong has it. I hope he and his loved ones recover quickly.

And I hope some of the dumber Mormons among us start taking this pandemic more seriously than they have as a result of him getting it.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:37 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:00 pm
I am sorry to hear Elder Gong has it. I hope he and his loved ones recover quickly.

And I hope some of the dumber Mormons among us start taking this pandemic more seriously than they have as a result of him getting it.
I'm glad they were all wearing masks on the stand in General Conference. Maybe the message got across. We'll see if those Utah Valley Mormons are more obedient to the president of the church or the president of the country.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:48 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:52 am
If some of those older GA guys get this, it would prove the end to many, IMHO. They are certainly old enough, and the way they use to travel can't be helpful for their immunity.
Since he was sitting on the stand with them I guess this will be a good test of the value of masks and distancing, assuming he was contagious Sunday.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:02 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:48 pm
Rob4Hope wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:52 am
Since he was sitting on the stand with them I guess this will be a good test of the value of masks and distancing, assuming he was contagious Sunday.
Are you referring to Gong Hagoth? I think they announced first thing Saturday morning that he was under quarantine, and not with them in his giant red chair in front of the dumpster-fire-window-backdrop. His speech was pre-recorded.

*Edit: It was mentioned in the Saturday Afternoon NOMference thread/session that Gong was quarantining, so I don't know if he may have attended one of the sessions?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:26 am

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:02 pm
Are you referring to Gong Hagoth? I think they announced first thing Saturday morning that he was under quarantine, and not with them in his giant red chair in front of the dumpster-fire-window-backdrop. His speech was pre-recorded.

*Edit: It was mentioned in the Saturday Afternoon NOMference thread/session that Gong was quarantining, so I don't know if he may have attended one of the sessions?
I'm glad to hear they are being responsible, assuming he was quarantined appropriately in advance.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:53 pm

The Holiest of Websites has answered all of your Coronavires and GA questions:

https://www.ksl.com/article/50027373/hi ... oronavirus

Edit: On second thought, maybe KSL is the second-holiest of websites...

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:58 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:53 pm
The Holiest of Websites has answered all of your Coronavires and GA questions:

https://www.ksl.com/article/50027373/hi ... oronavirus

Edit: On second thought, maybe KSL is the second-holiest of websites...
DUDE....that is a creepy ass picture....

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:06 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:07 am
Hmm... I prophesy that future GC talks will come out of this for generations to come.

For example:

The spirit bore witness to me that I would be plagued with the Virus so that the Lord could protect the prophet by quarantining Sister Gong and I. We knew that our affliction would be a shield among the brethren, that our positive test would alert them to be attentive during the pandemic. I know that God blesses us with this for humility and protection to the Prophet. President Nelson is the true and loving prophet of God in the earth today and I feel blessed to be able to get the virus first.
Remember the miraculous story of how John Taylor was saved by the bullet hitting his pocket watch? About two centuries later, the church now has a different story....that the bullet never hit the watch...no longer a miracle....but for nearly 200 years it was used as evidence of the divine nature of the church... home a church and the pandemic will become a new miracle....
~2bizE