What if?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Red Ryder

Re: What if?

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:05 pm

Corsair wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:37 am
Let me offer one contrary, yet boring option where the members kind of shrug and just go with it. Losing the doctrine of insular exclusivity would probably be a net negative where many of their liberal supporters drop from activity, but cultural inertia might simply keep the bulk of believers in the faith. The missionary lessons would need some tweaking and a new understanding of Joseph Smith would be needed. The church makes another firm step towards being fully Protestant.
This is exactly what they are currently doing over the long term. Slow changes over long periods of time. Boring but effective.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:33 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:23 pm
oliblish wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:32 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:52 am
Can I get a refund on tithes and offerings if this happens?

Does COJCOL-d$-Inc. start paying taxes on it's piles of gold and real-estate if this happens?
No

No
Not messing around are you Egyptian One? Harsh! Very harsh!

And in the case of these harsh answers to my two questions, here are my answers to the OP questions:

1: It doesn't matter, I want my money back! (Uttered in the voice of a screaming child. :cry: )

2: It doesn't matter, TCOJCOL-dS™ needs to PAY TAXES as if it were a giant, multi-billion dollar real-estate corporation. (Wait... Other giant real-estate corporation probably pay next-to-nothing in taxes because they know all the loopholes... Maybe I need to re-think this one. :lol: )
Sorry about the negativity. I have dreamed for years about getting my money back and have finally accepted that fact that I will never see it again. When I think of where I would be if I put my tithing in an IRA instead of the giving it to Corporation of the President, I would be much closer to retirement.

I have a friend who has a daughter that has recently entered the workforce. She pays her tithing online and accidentally put an extra zero at the end of her donation amount, effectively paying 100% tithing for the month. My friend was sure they would be able to correct the error if he made a few calls. I was not surprised to hear that they would not return any money to her.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:21 am

That’s a sad surprise :o
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

hmb

Post by hmb » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:24 pm

oliblish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:33 pm

I have a friend who has a daughter that has recently entered the workforce. She pays her tithing online and accidentally put an extra zero at the end of her donation amount, effectively paying 100% tithing for the month. My friend was sure they would be able to correct the error if he made a few calls. I was not surprised to hear that they would not return any money to her.
EZ fix. Just don't pay tithing again until the amount equals out to the honest 10%. She can request rent and food from Bishop until next check.

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:41 am

hmb wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:24 pm
oliblish wrote:

EZ fix. Just don't pay tithing again
Fixed that for you.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:15 pm

oliblish wrote:
If it is any consolation, let her know the mafia has the same no refunds policy. They also insist on a no financial-transparency policy and view secrets as sacred.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

hmb

Post by hmb » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:20 am

oliblish wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:41 am
hmb wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:24 pm
oliblish wrote:

EZ fix. Just don't pay tithing again!!!
Fixed that for you.
Made it better.