Pope Endorses Same Sex Civil Unions

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
StarbucksMom

Pope Endorses Same Sex Civil Unions

Post by StarbucksMom » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:14 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go ... m-73736065

How long does everyone predict it will take Mormon leaders to follow? Not in allowing gay temple marriage, but accepting legally married gay people as “morally clean”
and able to participate and hold callings etc?

Also will probably depend on the current prophet, so since some of you are pretty knowledgable about the chain of command, who are the next 3-4 in line after Russ again??

Red Ryder

Re: Pope Endorses Same Sex Civil Unions

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:55 am

300 years or the second coming which ever comes first?

I think it’s Oaks, Ballard, Holland, Eyering,Uchtdorf, then Bednar pending any deaths first.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:43 am

This is really interesting. The Catholic church was once the Great and Abominable Church. One of the major issues that gradually caused Mormons to become allies with Catholics was a shared homophobia. Now The Brethren are going to have to start looking for new friends, I guess. I believe the Westboro Baptist Church could use a buddy.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:01 pm

There are waaaaaaay more Catholics in the world than Mormons. In South America the majority of religious people are catholic and are the primary targets for missionaries. If the acceptance of gay unions trickles down among the common catholic membership the church will need to shift the same direction more quickly if they want to still woo those potential converts over. At some point the average joe will not want to side with the homophobic Mormon church.
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

Five

Post by Five » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:06 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:43 am
Now The Brethren are going to have to start looking for new friends, I guess. I believe the Westboro Baptist Church could use a buddy.
Zing!

Will this be like the Priesthood ban, you think? Well after all religions have stopped condemning homosexuals to Hell, will the LDS church still be the only one keeping them from holding a temple recommend? At least until the government threatens to take away their tax exempt status.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:56 pm

The Pope is driven by the teachings of Jesus rather than hatred of the LGBTQ community.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

hmb

Post by hmb » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:40 am

I've read some angry responses from practicing catholics on the Internet. (It's on the Internet, so must be true :lol: ). It will take time for some to accept the Pope's endorsement, the way it took time for many mormons to accept blacks getting the PH. My mom's comment, at that time, was, "I'm glad my mother is dead." Can the next Pope change it back? I'm not really sure how that works.

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:06 pm

I imagine a world where we dont talk about sexual preference anymore, because no one cares what you are. Dido race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison