Mormon Discussions Board

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Mormon Discussions Board

Post by moksha » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:15 pm

Just in case anyone was wondering, the Mormon Discussions Board has moved to a new IP address. Of course, in this change the name was subjected to a powerful dosage of Bizarro Rays, hence the new name Discuss Mormonism Board.

https://discussmormonism.com/index.php
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

jfro18

Re: Mormon Discussions Board

Post by jfro18 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:04 pm

Did they lose all of the posts? There were some truly great threads over there just in the few years I've been reading!

eta: Looks like they're working on migrating over, which is great news. :)

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:52 pm

Geez you think we would all learn by now to have backups of the boards and up to date software.

I feel like we’ve lost a lot of great history of everyone’s experiences leaving the church.

All the boards that used to be that are now gone.

View from the Foyer
NOM 1.0
PostMormon.org

I guess life moves on. Hope shades can get it recovered.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:54 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:52 pm
I guess life moves on. Hope shades can get it recovered.
The data is still at the other site. This was actually a planned move to ensure the continuation of the board, sort of like if our saviors at NOM 2.0 had been given a heads-up of the unfortunate NOM 1.0 closure. Hopefully, the transition can be made without losing precious history.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Phil Lurkerman

Post by Phil Lurkerman » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:48 pm

I still mourn the loss of NOM 1.0 - that was some great, eye-opening s@!1 and fairly deep philosophizing.
I was once a cafeteria Mormon on a hunger strike. Have since found a buffet elsewhere.

sunstoned

Post by sunstoned » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:59 pm

I also regret the demise of NOM 1.0. Just like I regret the loss of FLAK.

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:57 am

I really miss NOM 1.0 mainly because it documented my faith crisis in real time. I could look at my old posts as kind of a diary. I wonder if there is a backup of the database still sitting in cloud storage somewhere.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:12 pm

oliblish wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:57 am
I really miss NOM 1.0 mainly because it documented my faith crisis in real time. I could look at my old posts as kind of a diary. I wonder if there is a backup of the database still sitting in cloud storage somewhere.
Most likely no considering it’s been 4 years. The wayback machine captured some of them but not much. If I remember right it was hosted by bluehost in Orem. I’ll do some digging and see if the old hosting site has a policy online.

Here’s bluehost policy on their site:
Upon termination of the Services for any reason, Subscriber Content, Subscriber Websites, and other data will be deleted. You are solely responsible for maintaining backup copies of all Subscriber Content, Subscriber Websites, and other data. Bluehost is not responsible for the loss of any Subscriber Content. It is essential that Subscribers backup files offline, even if Subscribers purchase or have products, such as Site Backup and Restore.
If I type in newordermormon.org it redirects to bluehost. The domain expires in 2021.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg