Are they worshipping the Church?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

Are they worshipping the Church?

Post by deacon blues » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:35 pm

Salt Lake Tribune, Jan. 30, 2015: "I know the history of the Church is not to seek apologies (ask for repentance?! :o ) or to give them."-- President Dallin Oaks.
Numbers 23:19 "God is not a man that he should lie, neither the son of man that he should repent: hath he said and will he not do? or hath he spoken and will he not make it good?"

From the quotes above, and in the context of its teachings, it could be argued that the Church is mistaken by some members and leaders to be a god, perhaps THE god who is worthy of worship. The prime evidence is that both all truth and/or doctrines are subjected to the question- will it build up, defend, or protect the Church/kingdom of god?

Psalms 135:15-16, 18 "The idols of the heathen are silver and gold, the work of men's hands. They have mouths but they speak not; eyes have they, but they hear not... They that make them are like unto them. So is every one that trusteth in them."

For an organization that is a corporation, doesn't it make sense that it could be compared to idols of old, that is, that it is the work of men's hands?
I've said this before in other ways and places, but I believe it is the crux of the matter of facing organized religion.

Catholics tend to worship their church, Protestants tend to worship the Bible, or their interpretation of it. Muslims apparently worship both their 'prophet' and their Quoran, and some of them justify execution of those who would profane them. It seems to me that Jesus was too wise to institute a "kingdom of this world." But I could be wrong.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Apologeticsislying

Re: Are they worshipping the Church?

Post by Apologeticsislying » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:17 pm

My dad literally worshipped the church and the brethren were God. FULL STOP.
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

FreeFallin

Post by FreeFallin » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:29 am

The church speaks for god and acts on his behalf. Since God is actually invisible and silent, it is pretty easy to replace god with the church, which is visible, physical, and vocal. The church demands your obedience, your time and talents, and your will. It asks you to dissolve your boundaries to allow it full access to everything you are.

My experience as a member was that god and the church are basically the same. My current spiritual beliefs tell me that God/ Spirit/ Universe/ Source/ Higher Self (whatever) is nothing like the mormon god. In fact, if I believed in Stan, I would say the church leans more that way.

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:46 pm

Freefallin
My experience as a member was that god and the church are basically the same. My current spiritual beliefs tell me that God/ Spirit/ Universe/ Source/ Higher Self (whatever) is nothing like the mormon god. In fact, if I believed in Stan, I would say the church leans more that way.
After all, they really are to the point to where they can buy anything in this world with their money...
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:28 pm

If your choice came down to worshipping Ezra Taft Benson, Donald Trump, or a Golden Calf, I would say go with the Golden Calf because it at least does not espouse evil. Too political? Okay, leave out the calf.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:59 am

Another thought. Brigham Young had an "Abrahamic Test" when he tampered with the juries of John Lee's first and second trials. (See: Blood of the Prophets by Will Bagley. John Lee was Brigham's adopted son.) It seems very likely that he did this because 1) The LDS Church's (Brigham's god) image was threatened by the "not guilty" verdict of the first trial, so John Lee or somebody needed to serve as a scapegoat, and 2) the prosecutors very likely made a deal not to go after Brigham Young if he guaranteed them a "guilty" verdict.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.