Finally, a prophetic message that will fix everything!

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
1smartdodog

Re: Finally, a prophetic message that will fix everything!

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:34 pm

Members will be expecting some real impactful stuff. When they dont get it the will say how wonderful it was they were told to have faith and pay tithing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Advocate

Post by Advocate » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:58 am

I'm guessing that it will be another hunger strike because it's on a Friday. If he announces Friday, it is easy for the members to prep for the hunger strike and start Saturday night.

The timing is also good because there have been recent announcements of effective vaccines being found. No doubt he is hoping that the vaccines will be rolled out soon so he can then claim that the hunger strike worked and ended the pandemic.

As a secondary guess, I'm thinking it might be a prophetic call for everyone to be extra grateful and giving during the holiday season because there are lots of people in need. Maybe he'll even call specifically for more fast offerings?

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:05 am

I think they are trying to make this a message to the church but also one that is accessible to the world.

So my guess is that it will be similar to the previous fast where they called on all religions to join them, which makes me think the focus will not be on tithing or anything super church related.

I could be wrong,but it seems like the church's marketing is heavily towards not being Mormon and being all about Jesus Christ, which simply does not work when your church is built around leader worship.

But the new logo and fancy Heartsell methods sure make it seem bland and generic to the outside world.

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:33 am

Their problem is they can't even get their own people to listen to them in any large extent, let alone the rest of the 99.9% of the world.
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

El Chihuahua Chingón

Post by El Chihuahua Chingón » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:56 am

I respect the experience that Nelson and Oaks have, both as a revered surgeon and lawyer, respectively. Their counsel on actually following CDC guidelines (wearing a mask, etc) and embracing "black lives matter" was nice to hear from apostles.

So what boggles my mind is the fact that the church preaches "don't be a cafeteria mormon", yet the logical and ethical counsel mentioned above that should be considered common sense but is blatantly dismissed by church members. I guess some cafeteria mormons are more worthy than others.

News flash: the virus is real and racism is real.

Even if Nelson has some upcoming scientific and medical advice to coincide with faith, I don't expect the members to act on it. They have already demonstrated that they aren't open to thinking critically about scientific explanations.