Did you learn anything in the temple? Yes!

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

Did you learn anything in the temple? Yes!

Post by deacon blues » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:04 pm

At age 19, after going through the temple I was disappointed that nothing was taught in addition to doctrines I learned in
Primary, Sunday School, and Seminary lessons. But upon further thought I realized I learned the following things.
1. I learned that keeping secrets is a doctrine.
2. I learned my ultimate commitment was not to God, but to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In other words my conscience was subordinated to the corporation.
3. I learned my 30 year-old tobacco chewing uncle- who hinted that he didn't believe; my RM friend- who tried to make out with every girl he dated; and my very human older siblings had all made these same weird promises and done the same weird symbolic penalties- many times. Well maybe my uncle in his 30's had only done it once, but he got in the habit later on in his 50's.
4. I learned that mocking other beliefs was sacred, until the 1990's when it was ended.
5. I learned that older sisters I knew, who- shall I say "wore the pants in the family" had vowed to be submissive to their husbands.
Thanks to Pres. Hinckley, those last two things are no longer true.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Five

Re: Did you learn anything in the temple? Yes!

Post by Five » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:18 pm

The temple is one of those sad things for me. Because I tried so hard in attending the temple and doing "work" there to try to get the most out of it. To get some spiritual experience out of it. And I never did. It was the worst place I've ever been as a TBM.

My grandfather told me that every time he went to the temple, he learned something new and different. So, I went in the first time with this heavy expectation, only to be massively disappointed my first time through(in addition to the immediately shelved thought: omg, this is a cult, isn't it?). Every time I went after that, it felt like I was doing something wrong to not discover new truths or epiphanies while watching the film or doing the tokens and signs. Not to mention, about 70% of my temple visits had me sitting there in guilt, struggling not to have any dirty thought or doubts, feeling like I'd immediately draw attention to myself as the Spirit ratted me out to the temple workers. Or struggling to stay awake during a long session at the wrong time in the afternoon and feeling guilty for not paying attention better. I never felt close to God going to the temple. I simply felt like a huge disappointment to Him while I was there.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:57 pm

Yep, I learned "things" in the temple.

I learned what my parents did when they went on those "really important" temple trips: A creepy ritual. (We lived far enough away from a temple that my parents who always preached to us how poor we were only went maybe 4 times per year.)

I also learned maybe one or two things related to MORmON doctrine that I didn't know before, and were maybe a bit unique, and that some family members thought were a "big deal." My true "internal" thoughts about those things were: Meh.

I eventually learned that going to the temple hundreds if not thousands of times did absolutely nothing for me when it came to improving my day-to-day life, and in no way made me a better human. A day spent in nature was much better for my "soul" than a day spent in the fake Freemason Polygamy Palace, running on the hamster wheel.

Five wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:18 pm
My grandfather told me that every time he went to the temple, he learned something new and different.
This... Is one of those sayings I heard countless times from countless people also.

Funny how I never once asked one of those people what they learned on their last temple visit.

Did anyone else ever ask about the "new things" these folks were constantly learning in the temple?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

shrugged

Post by shrugged » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:50 pm

I learned that there was some basis for all those weird claims I’d heard from the anti-Mormons in town. Like the claim that Mormons wear fig leaves in the temple. I never took out my endowments but I was sealed to my parents as a teenager and it scared me away from the temple well into my young adult years even when I considered myself active and TBM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:46 am

Five wrote:
My grandfather told me that every time he went to the temple, he learned something new and different.
Heard this so many times. I would always wrap my head into a pretzel trying to understand the hidden doctrine in the temple. The signs, especially. I went through in 1990 after they got rid of the penalties, so I had no idea. I would make up all kinds of stuff trying to understand the meanings of these sacred signs that god wanted me to know. They were put there by god for a purpose; what could they mean?! They were so secret and sacred, it must be something mind blowing! If I could only be worthy enough, the spirit would reveal the hidden meaning to me!

Turns out I was just pantomiming the method of my untimely demise should I reveal how boring the endowment really is to those who don't already know and are also sworn to keep the secret of the boredom. :roll:

DW and I went to the temple A LOT, even worked there for a while. I saw those movies SO many times. I was so bored I would think weird things, like in the older movie that started out with the asteroids (or brown painted sponges?) I would always picture the Millennium Falcon flying through them. Or when Elohim goes "Adam.... Adam.... ADAM, where art thou!?" I would hear it like Dave calling for Alvin on the old Alvin and the Chipmunks Christmas song, with Adam saying, "RIGHT HERE!!" in a chipmunk voice. Yeah, it was that boring.

hmb

Post by hmb » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:48 am

I was pretty disappointed with the temple too. I wanted it to be the thing that really let me know the church was true. I wanted to be like all those who stood up and bore testimony beyond the shadow of any doubt...blah blah blah. Didn't happen the first, nor the 50th time through. The most I got out of it was that women had to veil their face and didn't get to know the husband's new name. So much disappointment. I did like the robes, but the fig leaf apron ruined the clothing for me. I hated the silly, green distraction. Still creeps me out to think about it.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:22 am

My parents and other people who knew I was really into astronomy as a kid would tell me, "oh boy, wait till you get to the temple. You'll learn all about how worlds are created." Someone even told me it was like an instruction manual for when we become gods.

Boy was I disappointed.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:18 pm

I went to Ricks College and BYU, and I felt that they both were kind of sacred, especially the libraries. They were quiet and good places for study and meditation, and they had all the old books- Journal of Discourses, B.H. Roberts histories, etc. ;) I kind of dug the graduation hats and robes too.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:02 pm

In 1978 i got a full temple experience. Throat slashing disemboweling and all. My favorite part was when Satan and the preacher dude showed up together as partners in crime. In the live session those playing the preacher really lived the part and would throw some real effort into it. Unlike those playing peter and his cohorts. They played it like they were lacking a pulse.

I went to the Manti temple and learned there were dinosaurs in the garden of eden. I know it because they were painted on the wall.

Those were the days. I pity those who just got the watered down version. How boring.

“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:28 pm

On the one hand, the temple was weird. I never figured out what was supposed to be learned. I read McKonkie who said that anyone who had been through the temple would understand why the creation accounts are different. I could never get an inkling of what he meant.

On the other had, I found the temple to be a peaceful experience, at least if I went by myself. I know that sounds weird, but I found the ritual relaxing. I'm sure there are psychology papers on this sort of thing, but I believe liturgy and ritual are beneficial to me. Of course, I don't need the temple for that. There are other places where I can access that type of environment.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:26 pm

One of the worst days so my life, going through the cultish initiation in downtown Ogden in 1983, when most of the juicy bits were still there. I vividly remember the satans and the preachers. For quite a while I bought into the Catholic church painted as the great and abominable; it played into the great apostacy narrative. But at the same time I knew folks from that faith and it bothered me at times how the mormon dogma dissed on them.

I settled in eventually, even found some peace there in a few celestial rooms. But I found very few answers, more questions really. I had already bumped up against my science classes not lining up with the creation story in the bible, now here was the top secret place of supposed learning reinforcing it. I did a lot of mental gymnastics to try and get comfy in that place and ironically, the changes they were making to the ceremony and to other things, these put more doubts in my mind about the "eternal truths" and "God never changes."

It's such a relief, not to have to jump through all those hoops anymore, trying to convince yourself how blessed you are, one of the few special kids on the planet with this super secret...er, sacred knowledge. Eeeeegawds!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:53 pm

Next time someone says they learn something new every time they go to the temple, ask the exactly what they learned the last three times. Crickets I am sure will be the response.

I think the notion that you learn all this grandiose stuff is just Mormon hype. Its just what you say. Like my mission was the best two years. They may even believe it. That is until they have to defend it. Few could I think

“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:30 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:53 pm
Next time someone says they learn something new every time they go to the temple, ask the exactly what they learned the last three times. Crickets I am sure will be the response.
And right after that question is when the believer pulls the "It's too sacred to talk about" card.

It's basically the same as the "Carefully Worded Denial" card.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:36 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:02 pm
In the live session those playing the preacher really lived the part and would throw some real effort into it. Unlike those playing peter and his cohorts. They played it like they were lacking a pulse.
And the guy playing Satan was always an engaging actor too. The first time I went attended a live session Adam and Eve were extremely feeble 80-somethings, Elohim and Jehovah were cardboard cutouts, but Satan was an applause-worthy performer. It seemed like they really wanted you to believe in the bad guys and take them more seriously.

My first temple experience was about the same time as yours, 1smartdog. Do you also remember that live-session Satan wore an actual masonic apron (but black), with all of the standard masonic symbols on it? I found that significant relative to Brigham's comments about the temple being "celestial masonry" as practiced in Solomon's temple, in contrast to the common degraded masonry.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

AdmiralHoldo

Post by AdmiralHoldo » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:59 pm

Hmm. Well, the last time I went to the temple, I learned that God hates women. That's why it was the last time.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:37 am

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:30 pm
1smartdodog wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:53 pm
And right after that question is when the believer pulls the "It's too sacred to talk about" card.

It's basically the same as the "Carefully Worded Denial" card.
I just imagined Einstein working on atomic theory and right after he gets E+MC2, he comes up with the next big discovery:
2 Sacrd 2 Tk About. :roll:

River Morgan2

Post by River Morgan2 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:11 am

Five wrote:
My grandfather, a life-long temple worker, told me the same thing.

The only thing I learned is that I never wanted to see my dear sweet loving mother draw her thumb across her throat ever again.

River
Every time you find humor in a difficult situation, you win. -Snoopy

alas

Post by alas » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:09 am

AdmiralHoldo wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:59 pm
Hmm. Well, the last time I went to the temple, I learned that God hates women. That's why it was the last time.
I have avoided this thread because what I learned my first time through was traumatic. But hey, as a sexual abuse victim, I was good at holding everything inside and going on with life as if there was no problem. But like AdmiralHoldo, I learned that our Heavenly Father hates his daughters (if we women are even daughters at all) and only tolerates our existence because women are needed to make babies. We are nothing to God and only inherit all the blessing of being “heirs” of God through our husbands. We are not heirs ourselves, but just the wives of his precious sons, who will inherit.

What’s more, God doesn’t know or recognize any of us, but needs secret signs, tokens, and passwords to recognize us as his. We are strangers, and need the secret password to get through enemy lines.

And the Mormon church is one of the secret combinations like the Gadianton robbers that when you join, you swear on your life that you won’t spill the secret or you will have your guts spilled.

Yup, I learned a lot in the temple, most of which amounted to our Father in Heaven is an abusive father. God is a jerk. Never could get past that to even like Mormon God. It was that which finally made me leave the church, because I realized that a religion that makes a person hate God, is a failed religion. Period. Any religion that makes any of its members hate God has totally failed in its mission. Not the member’s fault, but the religion’s fault.

I will stop there, to prevent another rant seeing as I have met my rant quota for the month.

River Morgan2

Post by River Morgan2 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:15 pm

River Morgan2 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:11 am

The only thing I learned is that I never wanted to see my dear sweet loving mother draw her thumb across her throat ever again.

River
I did learn one other thing. My all-knowing and loving Heavenly FATHER ground the concept in that I was "less than." The first decades of my marriage would have gone better if I hadn't believed that nonsense.

River
Every time you find humor in a difficult situation, you win. -Snoopy

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:02 pm

I remember reading on pro-LDS forums how members learned something new every time they attended the Temple, and that was coming from people who had attended hundreds of times. They couldn't mention what they learned due to oaths of silence. Hopefully, it was helpful and enlightening to them.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha