If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 47

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
annotatedbom

If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 47

Post by annotatedbom » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:30 am

For Come Follow Me, Lesson 47, Nov 30 - Dec 6, 2020, Moroni 1-6

If I wanted to encourage thought and try to understand devout believers better, I might ask:
Who is Moroni writing to?

See the Things to consider for this lesson.

And, here’s a list of some other observations about this lesson’s reading.

Enjoy!
A-Bom

Hagoth

Re: If I could ask them one question . . . Come Follow Me, Lesson 47

Post by Hagoth » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:43 am

This is a favorite topic for me since the release of the DNA essay, which seems to say that we have lost the Lamanites and can't find them. What a huge financial savings for the church if they were only printing copies of the BoM for the intended audience.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

annotatedbom

Post by annotatedbom » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:18 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:43 am
What a huge financial savings for the church if they were only printing copies of the BoM for the intended audience.
Hahaaa :lol:

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:03 pm

This is such a great point and one that doesn't really went over my head for a long time.

Since the church no longer has any idea who the Lamanites are, what is the point of the Book of Mormon? It's amazing to see what DNA has done to their confidence... science is funny that way.

Great post!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:23 pm

All they need to do to know who the Lamanites are is to sequence the DNA of human remains from the region of Zelph's mound. No, wait, that's the Nephites. No, wait, it's also the Lamanites who turned white because they were righteous.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:36 pm

From the first time I read the BofM, the population numbers and meteoric rise in population caused me pause. It was a shelf issue. When I read the numbers withiut my TBM brain it's just ridiculous, especially the numbers discussed in Ether. The remains of that many people and that large a civilization with the technology they possessed could not vanish. There would be some record. I tried to apologetically explain the dilemmas but... Easiest and most rational explanation is simply it didn't really happen.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:27 am

When Bilbo penned There and Back Again or when Frodo wrote The Red Book of Westmarch and left the last few pages for Samwise Gamgee to finish, who was the primary audience and who was the secondary audience?

The primary audience was the Gamgee, Took, and Brandybuck children and grandchildren. The secondary audience was all who enjoy a good story.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:39 pm

Cnsl1 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:36 pm
Easiest and most rational explanation is simply it didn't really happen.
My prediction for the apologetics of the next decade: it happened in a parallel universe.