Kwaku, FAIRMomon, and terminating Dehlin

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Just This Guy

Re: Kwaku, FAIRMomon, and terminating Dehlin

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:05 am

jfro18 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:23 pm
I'm just not sure how you can both claim that these videos are effective both in terms of the audience and view count, but also turn off all measures of showing that publicly.

This is SOP for LDS Inc. Just look at how they stopped reporting membership numbers. When the growth of the church stopped being something that they could use to claim their truthfulness and started to look like something that could become an embarrassment, they simply stopped putting the numbers front and center.

Yes, the data is out there, but you have to dig for it. Most people won't though. When it is good data for the church, it is front and center. when it is not good for the church, they hide it.

Why would FAIR be any different?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:56 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:05 am
Yes, the data is out there, but you have to dig for it. Most people won't though. When it is good data for the church, it is front and center. when it is not good for the church, they hide it.

Why would FAIR be any different?
I totally get why they're doing it - I just think anyone who steps back and thinks about it would realize that if they were truly that proud of their engagements, they'd open up comments and the like/dislike buttons.

The church itself does this on social media, although they don't go out and brag about engagements in the same way because I think they're smarter as a corporation than FAIR is as a radicalized group of apologists. If FAIR had the PR team that the church had, these videos would have never been funded. :lol:

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:59 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:56 am
I totally get why they're doing it - I just think anyone who steps back and thinks about it would realize that if they were truly that proud of their engagements, they'd open up comments and the like/dislike buttons.

The church itself does this on social media, although they don't go out and brag about engagements in the same way because I think they're smarter as a corporation than FAIR is as a radicalized group of apologists. If FAIR had the PR team that the church had, these videos would have never been funded. :lol:
I think the church might be happy that FAIR is putting up these videos. They are not about informing the youth or answering questions. They are about sparking a sense of outrage and persecution so that young people don't even think about asking the hard questions.

Political parties always want to have persons who are willing to listen and speak carefully as well as the firebrands who fire up emotions. Both sides are useful in getting and maintaining power. I could totally imagine that the church's PR firm is glad to have a firebrand with enough distance that the church can avoid getting tangled in the fights. FAIR is also close enough to the church so that people know they are semi-official. The church gets to have both sides to appeal to the prog-mos and the deznats at the same time as well as the vast majority that are somewhere in between.