Kwaku, FAIRMomon, and terminating Dehlin

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Exiled

Re: Kwaku, FAIRMomon, and terminating Dehlin

Post by Exiled » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:34 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:33 am
Kwaku strikes me as one of those people who goes through life with both middle fingers permanently extended, looking for any spotlight to step into. He's just the thing for people who want quick answers without actually having to spend much time thinking. At first I thought he was out of place at FAIR, but now I'm thinking maybe he's the formula they've been looking for all along. As the critical scholarship accumulates distraction and tapdancing become a more valuable skills.
The church is cool and I don't care about the past - seems like a slogan/meme a young 20 something could sell.

Abinidied

Post by Abinidied » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:48 pm

I listened to the Mormonism Live with Kwaku. Don't know if anyone else picked up on this, but in his argument where he tries to explain rationalism and uses Jeffrey Epstein as his extreme example of how the most irrational possibility is what happened implying how shocking it was when we all found out the magnitude of this evil truth. He then flip-flops when pressed by a caller. His response regarding JS comparison to other cult leaders is, " and what if some of them (Josephs wives) are a little younger. Isn't that a little weird? Meh. European countries the age of consent is 16. All of sex is weird."

So my rational thought is, he has to, by the power of his deductive rational thinking, give Jeffrey a pass like he did JS. I was repulsed by his dismissive 'Meh' with such a callous, shallow answer. I get it. It's live. But the thought crossed my mind that such an attitude toward young girls would perk the ears of local law enforcement. I'll give Kwaku a pass on such a small perspective after all, he's pretty young, but I do think he's destined himself to irrelevance by alienating his following with such blunders.
Cum omnia defecerunt, ludere mortuis. (When all else fails, play dead.)
--Red Green

John Hamer

Post by John Hamer » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:18 pm

Exiled wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:31 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:41 am
moksha wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:57 am
Kwaku has a brand new video out called “The End of John Dehlin.” Not sure if some new Mormon group is bankrolling this character assassination video or if it one of the usual suspects just doing a clandestine end-run around after they had been told to knock it off and act in a disciple of Jesus manner.
Kwaku is a self promoter just as much as John is. He knows he’s building his influencer brand. Whatever that is. Big Provo Nuisance?

However, wouldn’t it be ironic if John was funding this through back room deals? You know, to create buzz around his own brand?
I like the theory. The church always needs a devil and vice versa. Before his passing, Christopher Hitchens made some $ playing the devil to William Lane Craig's righteous christian leader. Why not Dehlin, the wishy washy liberal v. Kwaku, the new age convert?
This is a silly nonsense conspiracy-theory. Anybody who knows John Dehlin knows that he does not enjoy this kind of criticism, even from a person as dumb as Kwaku.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:04 am

John Hamer wrote: This is a silly nonsense conspiracy-theory. Anybody who knows John Dehlin knows that he does not enjoy this kind of criticism, even from a person as dumb as Kwaku.
Of course it is!

I have to throw out silly conspiracy theories every now and then to break up the echo chamber.

And speaking of JD, I watched his apology video to Kwaku and he looks tired. A lot of personal attacks in all directions lately. It’s got to take a toll on the guy. For that I’ll post my own apology to John video for suggesting such a conspiracy.

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Exiled

Post by Exiled » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:57 pm

John Hamer wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:18 pm
Exiled wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:31 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:41 am

Kwaku is a self promoter just as much as John is. He knows he’s building his influencer brand. Whatever that is. Big Provo Nuisance?

However, wouldn’t it be ironic if John was funding this through back room deals? You know, to create buzz around his own brand?
I like the theory. The church always needs a devil and vice versa. Before his passing, Christopher Hitchens made some $ playing the devil to William Lane Craig's righteous christian leader. Why not Dehlin, the wishy washy liberal v. Kwaku, the new age convert?
This is a silly nonsense conspiracy-theory. Anybody who knows John Dehlin knows that he does not enjoy this kind of criticism, even from a person as dumb as Kwaku.
Perhaps so. I don't know John Dehlin and only see his online persona and so am obviously speculating on possibilities. However, he is pretty media savvy and it would make sense to create controversy to push his image. He overreacted to Kwaku's inglorious basterds video for effect. Calling the FBI was just too much. However, in practice, maybe it is harder to pull off given the controlling church in the background that doesn't want to give Dehlin anything.

I don't think Red ryder needs to apologize for idle speculation.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat May 01, 2021 1:07 am

Exiled wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:57 pm
He overreacted to Kwaku's inglorious basterds video for effect.
I wonder how John Dehlin would react if Kwaku took a clip from Fatal Attraction and pasted Dehlin's face over that of Michael Douglas?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sat May 01, 2021 10:08 am

moksha wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:07 am
Exiled wrote:
I wonder how John Dehlin would react if Kwaku took a clip from Fatal Attraction and pasted Dehlin's face over that of Michael Douglas?
Or if Dehlin took a clip from Basic Instinct and pasted Kwaku’s face over that of Sharon Stone?

Can’t wait for the eventual Mormon celebrity boxing match. Co-main event with Tonya Harding and Tori Spelling!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sat May 01, 2021 6:25 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:08 am
Or if Dehlin took a clip from Basic Instinct and pasted Kwaku’s face over that of Sharon Stone?

Can’t wait for the eventual Mormon celebrity boxing match. Co-main event with Tonya Harding and Tori Spelling!
Maybe he could get Kwaku to cross and uncross his legs for the camera to match that shot.

Exiled

Post by Exiled » Sat May 01, 2021 9:09 pm

moksha wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:07 am
Exiled wrote:
I don't know how Dehlin would react but I think it'd be funny. He also should paste Rosebud's face over Glen Close when she is screaming that she won't be ignored. Does Dehlin have a rabbit?