SLC Trib: "McKenna Denson, LDS Church agree to drop lawsuit"

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
jfro18

SLC Trib: "McKenna Denson, LDS Church agree to drop lawsuit"

Post by jfro18 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:00 pm

The whole McKenna Denson episode comes to a very anti-climactic ending as they agree to dismiss the lawsuit with no settlement or agreement.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/12/10/ ... ds-church/

Advocate

Re: SLC Trib: "McKenna Denson, LDS Church agree to drop lawsuit"

Post by Advocate » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:17 am

It sure seemed like there was some smoke there, but McKenna Denson had some personal issues that destroyed her credibility. It would have been nice to see it play out a bit more.

alas

Post by alas » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:31 am

Advocate wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:17 am
It sure seemed like there was some smoke there, but McKenna Denson had some personal issues that destroyed her credibility. It would have been nice to see it play out a bit more.
Sexual abuse screws people up. The worse the abuse, the more screwed up the person is. Anyone claiming sexual abuse who is not exhibiting “crazy” symptoms is a) been through years and years and years of therapy. b) it was pretty insignificant, nontraumatic abuse, c) they will fall apart and go totally off the deep end before this gets to trial or d) least likely they are making it up.

I worked for years with rape and sexual abuse survivors, and guess what? 90% of them would never stand up to the things the church put McKenna through. The church raped her all over again and did it in full public view and we blame HER? Put the right kind of bullet holes in any victim/witness and they can’t/won’t testify or if they manage to hold it together and still tell their story, people look and see blood all over the witness stand and turn away in disgust and refuse to listen. Then it is the a** h*** jurors at fault for not having the stomach to listen.

And victims are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. Look at justice of the Supreme Court His “honor” Brett Kavanah. His victim was drug through the coals and then criticized for staying too calm. Idiots refused to believer her because she didn’t break down in hysterics, and if she had broken down into hysterics they would have refused to believe her because of the hysterics. But “his honor” they believed because he broke down in hysterics??? It is victims that our society does not want to believe. Because rape is so terrifying that people want to believe it only happens to women who deserve it and so who cares. So, when someone is raped, they want to turn her into a liar or a hooker, otherwise they have to face the fear that it could happen to them or a lived one.

Look at her screwed up life. There is your witness of what Joseph Bishop did to her.

alas

Post by alas » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:36 am

That rant wasn’t aimed at anyone here. Really it is aimed at the church for covering this up and making her life even worse.

alas

Post by alas » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:38 am

Some things still trigger me and I get into the hysterics of a partially healed abuse victim.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:48 am

alas wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:36 am
That rant wasn’t aimed at anyone here. Really it is aimed at the church for covering this up and making her life even worse.
No offense taken.

I think your point of view is relevant.

If anything her coming forward has exposed that these men are not called of god. Never have been. Never will be.

It also has exposed the exmo side as well for the same Church like abuse mentioned above.

I hope she can find healing.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Linked

Post by Linked » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:07 pm

alas wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:31 am
Because rape is so terrifying that people want to believe it only happens to women who deserve it and so who cares. So, when someone is raped, they want to turn her into a liar or a hooker, otherwise they have to face the fear that it could happen to them or a lived one.
Well said Alas, thank you for bringing your insight and passion. I've listened to people turn rape victims into both really quickly to maintain their worldview.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Advocate

Post by Advocate » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:31 pm

alas wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:31 am

Look at her screwed up life. There is your witness of what Joseph Bishop did to her.
Thanks for your insights Alas, always good to see things from a different perspective.

I think your quote above exhibits the crux of my point. Denson's screwed up life is evidence that something terrible happened to her. A screwed up life doesn't show that Joseph Bishop did something terrible to her. I would have liked to see the case go forward so we could see more evidence.

I'm a big proponent of believing that people are innocent until proven guilty. With that being said, I recognize that our legal system favors those with money and can put victims through hell.

The most damning thing about the whole situation is what the church did to her. I still can't figure out how people who claim to represent Jesus could drag her through the mud in an attempt to discredit her allegations. It's one of the most un-Christlike things they could do.

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:36 pm

The church just behaved like the huge corporation they are. Protect the corporation above the needs of the customer or employee. They have church in their title but that means nothing when image and money is involved.

Not saying all corporations are bad. I have worked for good ones and in one case a very bad one. The church tends to act like the later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:08 pm

alas wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:36 am
alas wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:38 am
Some things still trigger me and I get into the hysterics of a partially healed abuse victim.
I join with what others have mentioned, and... I LOVE it when you rant Alas. I literally ALWAYS learn something from your rants. A lot of the time it is messed up stuff that's buried deep in my cult-trained brain, where I need to do some introspection and cleaning and try to untangle the knots and think differently.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...