The real face of Jesus

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Spicy McHaggis

The real face of Jesus

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:05 pm

This article is a few years old so maybe it's already been discussed but this paints a completely different picture than all those paintings of Blond-Haired-Blue-Eyed-Surfer Jesus in every LDS chapel.

http://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisur ... ate=120116

wtfluff

Re: The real face of Jesus

Post by wtfluff » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:04 pm

Spicy McHaggis wrote:Surfer Jesus
HA!

Thanks for that giggle. Must remember this!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:10 pm

We all know now, thanks to the essays and apologists, that those artists are not really inspired after all. I mean, look how they portrayed the translation of the BOM! They totally had it wrong and deceived us all those years.

I remember hearing the stories about the inspired artists and their paintings of Jesus. Then I heard a first-hand testimony from a Norwegian actor that played Jesus in the BOM film made in the early 90s (I think that's when it was), then when they were doing his makeup, one of the 12 was there to verify that his look was "How the brethren like to see it." Given that when we drank the koolaid, many of us believed that at least the prophet had face to face chats with Jesus in that special room in the temple, the actor that played Jesus in the film was a dead ringer for those European artistic interpretations of what they thought Jesus should look like. In my book I'd side with the science and not those inspired men who claim they know the Jesus look and this is just one more pile of BS you can heap on the rest!

Even the scriptures say he was not a good looking guy. But I suppose Isaiah could have been wrong as well.
"For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him."
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

telemoonka

Post by telemoonka » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:32 pm

I believe we already have a picture of the real face of Jesus, and it's found on the Shroud of Turin.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:37 am

I agree that's probably what Jesus would have looked like but I have always wondered why the artist made him look kind of stupid and bewildered.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:42 am

Hagoth wrote:I agree that's probably what Jesus would have looked like but I have always wondered why the artist made him look kind of stupid and bewildered.
22 days into a long fast?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

document

Post by document » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:19 am

I have known a few LDS people over the years who have claimed to have met Jesus face-to-face. In every single instance they describe him as surfer Jesus, never as a Jew from the first century CE.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:23 pm

Along the same lines...

P.S. Where in the world is Jesus' favorite break? Pipeline? Teahupo'o?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

document

Post by document » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:35 pm

For the same reason that we say "Jesus" instead of "Yeshua" -- the writers of the gospel wrote them in Greek.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:31 pm

document wrote:For the same reason that we say "Jesus" instead of "Yeshua" -- the writers of the gospel wrote them in Greek.
How do you say "Surfer" in Greek? ;)

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:36 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Hagoth wrote:I agree that's probably what Jesus would have looked like but I have always wondered why the artist made him look kind of stupid and bewildered.
22 days into a long fast?
This was drawn as he was sitting in the celestial room after going through the temple for the first time...
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

alas

Post by alas » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:25 pm

My theory is that he probably had long hair, not just the shoulder length hair usually depicted, but never cut l-o-n-g hair. His cousin John the Baptist was a member of the Essenes, who never cut their hair, as was Samson. Think about how Jesus bad mouthed the Pharisees and Saducees. Doesn't it make sense then that he would be a member of the Jewish sect that was not a Pharisee or Saducees? The same Jewish sect as his cousin? So, Jesus probably never cut his hair. The Essenes did time off alone in the desert fasting.

Paul says that long hair on a man is shameful because Paul was a Roman citizen. He never saw Jesus when Jesus was alive, but saw him in a vision, which would match up with his personal expectation of what Jesus should look like, rather than what he actually did look like.

The long hair on Jesus would not be mentioned because it was normal for men of that sect to never cut their hair, and that would not be mentioned, but just assumed, unless like Samson he got tricked into having a woman chop off his hair.

Si, I disagree with this scientist's depiction on hair length at least.

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:01 am

I just love to speculate on speculated ideas about speculated people.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi