We now know what Hagoth did when he left in a ship

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
2bizE

We now know what Hagoth did when he left in a ship

Post by 2bizE » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:34 am

Recent discoveries seem to indicate there were ancient voyages between ancient Egypt and the Americas. Where else would cocaine in mummies come from?
Obviously, it was Hagoth who left in a boat as the BoM indicates. He came back, left and never was seen again...he was smuggling drugs to Egypt.

https://www.ancient-origins.net/unexpla ... AypTU4Ib2o
~2bizE

Hagoth

Re: We now know what Hagoth did when he left in a ship

Post by Hagoth » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:36 am

It wasn't me. Never touch the stuff.

I haven't heard about the cocaine mummies for a long time but I'd like to look into it more and see if I can find better sources. Ancient Origins is a semi-reputable site that ranges from accurate archeology to wild conjectures about ancient aliens and Atlantis. Reviews I looked at repeatedly used the terms pseudoarchaeology and pseudohistory.

One red flag was that the article relies heavily on statements by Mormon apologist John Sorenson who is highly motivated to see evidence for ancient transoceanic travel everywhere he looks.

That said, I think it's very possible - and there seems to be some tantalizing evidence - that ancient people might have been moving around more than many have suspected. The problem comes when people like Graham Hancock make wild leaps of logic and turn it into conspiracy theories.

Besides, everybody knows that Hagoth went to New Zealand and Hawaii. The prophets have said so many times. So what if archaeologists say both were settled after the Nephite apocalypse?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

River Morgan2

Post by River Morgan2 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:30 am

Gee Hagoth, where do you ever find time to post on Nom between your tapir riding, your cocaine smuggling, and your vacations in New Zealand?
😂😂😂
River
Every time you find humor in a difficult situation, you win. -Snoopy

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:54 am

I read in the Book of Mormon that cocaine was commonly used by the Miami-ites who were closely related to the Lamanite tribes and lived in the land of the southern peninsula.

Hagoth, wasn’t your great granddaddy the chief of police way back in the glory days? Patrolling the beaches, rounding up the immoral, the addicted, and the scantily clad?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:13 pm

I haven't been able to find any peer reviewed discussion about this newer than 1993-95. It appears to be a non-topic these days. Some people seem to believe there was transoceanic trade, some think the analysis was flawed, some think the mummies were tampered with, either intentionally or accidentally, an some point to Old World sources of nicotine and cocaine-like substances. So I guess the jury is still out.

My hypothesis is that Hagoth's boat was a party cruise with stopovers in a lot of places. The Egyptian tomb excavation also included mix tapes and little paper umbrellas.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:37 am

Several years ago after studying the BofM I came up with the novel idea that maybe Nephi (not Lehi's kid, but the later one) was one of the three wise men. He would have understood the prophecy and signs of Christ's birth. He'd know roughly where Christ was born and he could follow that star. He split not long after the sign. The BofM kinda suggests he was translated. But.. the Nephites had the boat technology. What if he thought... Dang, I gotta see the savior.. nothing keeping me here in town. Someone water my tapir, I'm taking some gold and coca leaves and I'm outta here.

8 or so years later he shows up with a couple other wise guys from the East. Why not the west, you ask? Well, Hagoth went Westward when he took the island party boat. Lehi and company supposedly came the long way across the Pacific when they left the middle east, so that's kinda the only way Nephi knew how to go. Of course, he had no idea it was that far! He also had no idea folks would later screw up that song.

We three kings of Orient are,
Wait, this one guy is from a bit farther
Field and fountain, a boat from a mountain
All following that there star.

Star of wonder, star of bright
Nephi sailed his boat just right
Docked near a monastery
Rented a dromedary
Rode to the west for days and nights.

Y'all know the rest of the story...
He gets to be pretty tight with Balthasar and Gasper. By the time they get to Jerusalem the star had already flickered out, so they stop off at Herod's and say, hey man, you look pretty slick, you're probably a king like us, so you probably know where this Jesus pup is hanging. Tell us where he is cuz we wanna give him some cool presents, right, and maybe tickle his cheeks or something, cuz this little dude is the REAL king, you know what we're saying!?

And Herrod is like, excuse me? What are your names again? And what kind of name is Nephi anyway. I'm gonna call you Melchor and I don't even think you really ARE a king. So F off, cuz I'm the only king round these parts and I'm gonna kill all the little boys just so you f*@&ers will stop looking for someone to bring gifts too ( cuz you know this had been going on quite a while, every goy and his kelev had been asking Herrod where's the baby, where's the baby??).

So Nephi and his buddies high tail it out of there and happen to run into this nice lady who was dating a shepherd a few years back and she said that all he could talk about was how these angels showed up one night and sang to him and his buddies and told them that if they wanna see their savior, they'd better ratzl their tuches to that big bright yonder star over in Bethlehem. So Nephi said, wow that sounds like Jesus! And they thank the nice lady and Nephi hangs around a bit and asks her if she is still dating that shepherd, and she says they broke up. He was nice and all, but you know.. it just got kind of old hearing that same story and how sweet that little baby was, like he didn't EVEN cry when the cattle started lowing, and he'd go on about how beautiful his mother was, so... why don't you marry HER then. It just didn't work out, you know. So Nephi thinks she's pretty hot so he asks if maybe she'd like to grab a sachlav later after they go drop off the gifts to Jesus and she was like, I dunno dude, I don't need to hear about Jesus anymore, and Nephi says well I'd like to see you again so can I at least get your number. So, she's like, alright, I kinda dig your accent, it's so reformed, my number is 25, and Nephi was like, cool cool.. I'll definitely be calling you later.

I know I'm digressing, but that part is important later.

So, the three kings headed to Bethlehem, well 2 kings, cuz yeah Herrod nailed it, Nephi wasn't really a king and Balthasar and Gasper already knew that he wasn't cuz he'd already told them about the cool reign of the judges and they were all, Man that sounds so cool, but when he was taking a leak they both said to each other, dude, that would suck, I'm glad I'm a king.

So eventually they find Jesus and he's like 8 years old by now, and he's totally outgrown the manger. He and Mary and Joseph are living in a tent on the outskirts of town, and Joseph is building a nice little three bedroom, two bath stucco. So, the foundation is finished and he's starting to get the framing done and Jesus is helping, and as it turns out, Jesus is a pretty good worker, but what would you expect, right? He is Jesus. So the wise men say, hey guys we've been traveling from the East to see the child and bring you gifts and worship the child and stuff, and sorry it took us so long to get here, but we were following the star and it went away like a couple years ago. And Mary said, yeah my bad. It was so hard to sleep with that thing shining through the tent at night I asked the angel if they could turn it off.

And the wise men were like, yeah we can understand that. No worries, Mary. So here's some gifts. Gold and coca leaves, some frankincense, and we're not really sure what this other stuff is, but Gasper calls it Myrrh. And Joseph says dang! Gold! Man I could have used this to buy us a place instead of building one. Then Mary was like, Joey dear you know I still want you to make the custom cabinets we talked about and he's like yeah I know I know. And Jesus says the leaves look cool.

So then Nephi remembered, hey folks, you know that dude Herrod? And they say duh, everyone knows Herrod, he's like on every channel. Then Nephi says well he's fixing on killing every boy this side of the red sea cuz he thinks everyone gonna think Jesus here is the king and not him. And Jesus says, Mama, what's a king? Cuz yeah he's the savior and perfect and all, but he's still learning his words right now. So Balthasar says you guys need to get the hell out of Israel and just lay low somewhere until Herrod kicks the bucket or something, and Joseph says man I gotta finish the framing and get this thing dried in before the monsoon season, but Mary kinda wore the pants and she's like, joey get that donkey and let's head south, I think I still have a cousin in Egypt, let's pack these gifts and get out of here!

So yeah, you know the rest of that part and that's probably how cocaine ended up in Egypt, but then Balthasar says he's gotta get back to his kingdom cuz his wife had been been texting that his little brother was hitting on her and talking about taking over, and Nephi was like, dude I'm telling you, judges! And Gasper says yeah man I'm gonna go back right now and set that up, but he's laughing and Nephi knows it's just talk and says, I'm telling you, bro, judges is the way to go.

So they start heading back and Nephi says he's gonna stop in Jerusalem for a minute and the kings start giving him crap cuz they know he's checking on that nice lady and they say good luck dude and Nephi says I'll catch up later and they're like riiight.... So Nephi pokes around and calls 25 a few times and finally she answers and she starts saying ok dude I'll break some bread with you, but I don't wanna hear any Jesus talk, and Nephi is like ok and you're kinda cute so do you wanna get hitched, and she says well mixed faith marriages don't usually work out too well, but Nephi says maybe we can find a forum or something to help us out, and she says that sounds like a plan, so they did it, which is why he never made it back to Zarahemla.

River Morgan2

Post by River Morgan2 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:14 am

Cnsl1, great story! 👏😂

River
Every time you find humor in a difficult situation, you win. -Snoopy

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:25 am

Cnsl1 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:37 am
So they start heading back and Nephi says he's gonna stop in Jerusalem for a minute and the kings start giving him crap cuz they know he's checking on that nice lady and they say good luck dude and Nephi says I'll catch up later and they're like riiight.... So Nephi pokes around and calls 25 a few times and finally she answers and she starts saying ok dude I'll break some bread with you, but I don't wanna hear any Jesus talk, and Nephi is like ok and you're kinda cute so do you wanna get hitched, and she says well mixed faith marriages don't usually work out too well, but Nephi says maybe we can find a forum or something to help us out, and she says that sounds like a plan, so they did it, which is why he never made it back to Zarahemla.
Have you ever considered a job with the correlation committee? Will the COB please hire this man!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:29 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:36 am
I haven't heard about the cocaine mummies for a long time but I'd like to look into it more and see if I can find better sources. Ancient Origins is a semi-reputable site that ranges from accurate archeology to wild conjectures about ancient aliens and Atlantis. Reviews I looked at repeatedly used the terms pseudoarchaeology and pseudohistory.
That said, I think it's very possible - and there seems to be some tantalizing evidence - that ancient people might have been moving around more than many have suspected. The problem comes when people like Graham Hancock make wild leaps of logic and turn it into conspiracy theories.
I remember doing some research on this a while back. It may have been on the old NOM board. What I remember is that the most likely explanation was a lot more boring than any transcontinental drug trade.

This is all based on memory here..

There are a number of plants in both South America and northern Africa that can be used to produce a cocaine like substance. These are attributed to parallel evolution and are all considered native plants in their respective regions. In the modern world, some of the African plants have gone extinct over the last few thousand years and the ones that remain are considered poor choices for drug production. The South American varieties are the plants of choice and people tend to think of those plants when cocaine is mentioned. But there is reasonable sources for cocaine in ancient Egypt that do not require anyone to sail on any ocean.

Edit: I managed to find some of my old sources:
https://ahotcupofjoe.net/2018/05/new-wo ... d-mummies/

Summary: There is no archeological evidance of any transoceanic shipping, and Egypt loved recording all their shipping exploits. There are a number of easily confirmed sources of Cocane, Nicotine, and THC native to northern Africa.

Occum Razor strikes again.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:30 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:29 am
What I remember is that the most likely explanation was a lot more boring than any transcontinental drug trade.
The truth is often intellectually satisfying but emotionally non-titillating.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:20 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:13 pm
I haven't been able to find any peer reviewed discussion about this newer than 1993-95. It appears to be a non-topic these days. Some people seem to believe there was transoceanic trade, some think the analysis was flawed, some think the mummies were tampered with, either intentionally or accidentally, an some point to Old World sources of nicotine and cocaine-like substances. So I guess the jury is still out.

My hypothesis is that Hagoth's boat was a party cruise with stopovers in a lot of places. The Egyptian tomb excavation also included mix tapes and little paper umbrellas.
How does a peer reviewed study work when the entire topic is a myth? Ie. Santa, tooth fairy, BoM, Scientology...
~2bizE

Keewon

Post by Keewon » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:38 pm

Hagoth wrote:Ancient Origins is a semi-reputable site that ranges from accurate archeology to wild conjectures about ancient aliens and Atlantis.
I prefer calm, sane conjectures about ancient aliens and Atlantis for my taste. If someone can actually identify them by their first name (the aliens that is), that makes it even more believable.

I have a brother that knows things like that. :)

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:57 am

I recently came across some more information about these mummies. It turns out that some had more nicotine in their tissues than you could possibly get from smoking tobacco. It also turns out that 19th century curators doused mummies in nicotine to help preserve them. Also, these mummies were openly displayed, moved around, poorly stored, and exposed to all kinds of environments in the century or so between their discovery and these tests. During that time drugs like cocaine were completely legal and frequently used, so the trace amounts that were seen in tests could have easily come from contamination by museum workers, curators, public visitors, janitors, journalists, etc. Also, indoor smoking was common. A 2009 study concluded that there is no reason to believe that the presence of these substances in the mummies was anything more than contamination.

So, the Vikings still hold the strongest claim on first arrivers to the New World.