New Mission Presidents

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
2bizE

New Mission Presidents

Post by 2bizE » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:59 am

The church just called 105 couples to preside over missions. What if one of them was you?
What would you do different as a mission President or matron?

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2021/1/13 ... alia-faith
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Re: New Mission Presidents

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:32 pm

I’d marry the female sister missionaries to the nerdy male missionaries and send them home to procreate and attend BYU. Just to keep the Mormon population from decreasing.

Then I’d take the type A - general authority wanna be’s and make them tract out the ghetto neighborhoods and berate them for their unworthiness and laziness.

For every month they don’t baptize they have to extend their mission.

Or I would just take the mission president compensation and hide out in Costa Rica for three years.

Yeah, probably just hide out.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:28 pm

Here are a few ideas I would try:
1) rewrite the rules
2) allow swimming and water play
3) provide a paid vacation every 6 months for each missionary. Give them a break for a week.
4) allow them to communicate with whomever when they want to
5) encourage service opportunities to make a real difference in the lives of people
6) get rid of quotas.
7) Allow dating
8) give missionaries a stipend...just like their leaders.
~2bizE

Phil Lurkerman

Post by Phil Lurkerman » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:07 pm

2bizE wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:59 am
The church just called 105 couples to preside over missions. What if one of them was you?

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2021/1/13 ... alia-faith
Decline the offer.
I was once a cafeteria Mormon on a hunger strike. Have since found a buffet elsewhere.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:04 am

2bizE wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:59 am
A mission presidency to one of the Asian countries would be fun just for the food. I would have the missionaries cease proselytizing and offer service to those in need. This would eventually build up a lot of goodwill toward the Church and set a good example for the residents of the mission area. I would also try to do some sightseeing and encourage the missionaries to be kind to one another. I would offer a weekly mission report to the NOMinees on this forum.

Hopefully, Regional President Elder Sylen T. Fahrt would be supportive of this alteration in objectives.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:37 pm

"Put down the lessons, go out there and help as many people as you can with their day-to-day needs. Seek out the poor, the aged, the sick, the friendless, the persecuted. Don't talk about religion and don't even tell them you're a Mormon unless they ask. If they eventually find out they will be much more impressed with the church and its members than if you had preached at them."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:52 pm

If I were stupid enough to accept such a "calling..."

I would ban suits, white shirts, ties, and and all 1950's-esque IBM business-attire style clothing for both males and females.

But honestly: Right now I'd give an HONORABLE release to all "my" missionaries due to COVID, and tell HQ not to send any more until it's safe for humans to act like humans without killing off the old and feeble humans among us.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Exiled

Post by Exiled » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:40 am

Knowing what I know now, I would go to a total service model, ditch the "truth" claims, and tell the potential converts/members that the church has so much money already and that the better course of action would be to not pay any tithing and demand that the church start using the so-called rainy day fund now. If current conditions don't scream at the Q15 that it is a hurricane out there, I don't know what will. However, we all know that they were caught hiding the money and the rainy day fund was a silly excuse. Anyway, the idea of missionary service is a good one. Missionary recruitment, not so much. Let's focus on service and actually helping people, not tricking them into contributing to an investment vehicle.

By the way, I noticed a lot of last names in common with current/past leadership families. The church will progressively have to call presidents/leaders from the same group of prominent families and those are shrinking. I know a handful of people that grew up with me that are related to mormon royalty and have now left. Truth hurts and the financial disclosures need to continually be paraded out in the open so more and more can realize what the church is really about.