Overview project I've been working on going through church topics one by one...

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

Re: Overview project I've been working on going through church topics one by one...

Post by deacon blues » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:38 pm

I think it is fair to use the D&C as a comparison to the Book of Mormon, to determine from- the view of the believing -if the translation was "tight" or "loose." The D&C has such numerous edits that it seems Joseph felt his "inspiration/revelation" projects were definitely subject to editing. If his projects were "tight" translations, wouldn't he feel more reluctance to edit them?
Even when I was a believer it seemed the loose translation explained the data better.
God is Love. God is Truth

jfro18

Re: Overview project I've been working on going through church topics one by one...

Post by jfro18 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:09 am

Just "finished" the Book of Mormon part with a section that goes over how Joseph Smith composed it orally, how we can tell, and the fingerprints he left that show us where he was pulling sources from.

It also includes Hagoth's "oops" moments - which I need to credit properly, so Hagoth let me know how you'd like to be recognized there!