"We understand repentance to be a joyful thing."

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

"We understand repentance to be a joyful thing."

Post by deacon blues » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:24 pm

https://soundcloud.com/mormonland/a-dee ... pisode-171

I was listening to this interview of Michalyn Steele, a BYU prof. who served on a committee to review racism at BYU. She said she thought the process at BYU required something like a process of repentance. She quotes BYU Pres. Worthin as responding "We (meaning LDS- presumably) understand repentance to be a joyful thing."
That statement sounds well intended, but not quite accurate. It might be said that repentance is a sorrowful experience that ends with a renewed joy. The biggest problem with repentance, I believe, was stated by Jesus in his mote/beam parable: It's easy to see repentance as something for more others, but less for ourselves.
I wonder that I rarely hear of a GA speaking about personal application of repentance to a situation in their own lives. It still gives me a feeling of repentance being a shameful process, not a joyful process.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

wtfluff

Re: "We understand repentance to be a joyful thing."

Post by wtfluff » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:46 pm

Aplogies.jpg
Aplogies.jpg (53.01 KiB) Viewed 1218 times

I thought apologizing was part of the "restitution" step in LDS-Inc.'s version of repentance.

Or maybe I'm just old and that version of repentance is no longer valid.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Re: "We understand repentance to be a joyful thing."

Post by moksha » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:22 pm

I think what President Oaks was trying to say is that repentance and apologies are for humble rather than proud and stiff-necked people.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha