View of the Hebrews and shoutout to Jfro!

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

View of the Hebrews and shoutout to Jfro!

Post by Hagoth » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:38 am

The recent MormonStories/RFM joint podcast about View of the Hebrews is excellent. I was so happy to hear them pick up on all of the main points that I have been preaching at NOM for the past several years about the much-overlooked cultural influences that gave Joseph most of fuel he needed to write the BoM.

Also, John Dehlin gives a shoutout to our friend jfro18. At about 1hr 30min he compares LDSDiscussions.com favorably to MormonThink.com as significant sources of information.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

græy

Re: View of the Hebrews and shoutout to Jfro!

Post by græy » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:49 am

jfro18 has been mentioned a few times in recent MS podcasts. I think that means he has officially hit the "big-leagues" and I for one feel honored to have watched his meteoric rise to exmo-stardom! :D

In all serious though, you have done a great deal of work and it deserves to be recognized. Congratulations jfro18!

We would also be remiss if I didn't thank early contributors such as yourself, Hagoth! If I am not mistaken your invaluable annotated essays were part of the early ldsdiscussions.com repertoire.

Here's to Hagoth and jfro18 for your ceaseless, invaluable, and certainly underappreciated contributions to bringing light and truth to the deep slough of Mormonism!!
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

græy

Post by græy » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:50 am

I also wanted to second the greatness of this particular MS episode. Thank you to RFM (consigliere) and John Dehlin!
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:10 am

I think John Dehlin was being way too kind for the most obvious reasons. Mormonthink probably has 50x the content up that I do and I would imagine 1000x the traffic.

He's mentioned a few times because I've sent him some quotes when I've been able to listen during work, but it's of course it's always nice to get some awareness for the site since I think it's small potatoes compared to the sites/documents that actually get the attention of apologists and the church. I still think Hagoth's annotated essays can be put up against any other critical work on the internet in terms of both content and effectiveness, and I'm trying to carry that through to the other overviews to really incorporate the apologetic views into the problems to cut the FAIR Mormon approach off at the same time.

On that note, Mormon Stories has put out some really great interviews lately - the Sandra Tanner one about Hofmann is really interesting, this one with RFM was great, he recently did one with Chelsea and Nick Homer as they navigated a mixed faith marriage which is super interesting because the church used Chelsea's work to promote staying in the church through a MFM but then yanked her stuff down once she left the church, and the Visions in a Seer Stone interview with William Davis I thought was great too.