Significant changes to Salt Lake and Manti Temples

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
no1saint

Significant changes to Salt Lake and Manti Temples

Post by no1saint » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:53 pm

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... march-2021

The Church has announced the murals in the Salt Lake and Manti Temples are being removed. No more live endowments to be done ever again and both temples to be changed to single room sessions on film.

The Salt Lake Temple will have a second baptistry built and two more ordinance rooms to turn it into a ordinance factory.

A render of the new celestial room shows the weird veil room extension to be removed and replaced with doors. The women and two cherubs have been removed.

This is a hastening of the mainstreaming of Mormonism. All the extreme parts which were in the Salt Lake Temple have been removed. You can’t have the flagship temple shown to the world with the quirkiness of 19th century Mormonism on full display. lol

wtfluff

Re: Significant changes to Salt Lake and Manti Temples

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:36 pm

no1saint wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:53 pm
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... march-2021

The Church has announced the murals in the Salt Lake and Manti Temples are being removed. No more live endowments to be done ever again and both temples to be changed to single room sessions on film.

The Salt Lake Temple will have a second baptistry built and two more ordinance rooms to turn it into a ordinance factory.

A render of the new celestial room shows the weird veil room extension to be removed and replaced with doors. The women and two cherubs have been removed.

This is a hastening of the mainstreaming of Mormonism. All the extreme parts which were in the Salt Lake Temple have been removed. You can’t have the flagship temple shown to the world with the quirkiness of 19th century Mormonism on full display. lol
I had been wondering aboot this.

No more live LARP sessions. That's definitely the end of an era.

I wonder if they're going to update the quirky "Talmage Room?"
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:40 pm

In the SLC temple, when you would move from one room to another, you also had to move higher in elevation each time. You had to climb up a few old staircases. I wonder how that will be removed or incorporated with the Movie/PowerPoint Presentation.
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:17 am

The dinosaur mural in the Manti Temple was unique, but removing it is in accord with the LDS belief that the earth is only 6000 years old.

Will they keep or remove the pentagram with the goat's head at the Salt Lake Temple?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Lucidity

Post by Lucidity » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:48 pm

Am I he only one that is bothered by the removal of the murals? What happened to the preservation of “our” history and a reverence to the artisans and craftsmen who created these great structures?

Maybe it’s the artist in me and the fact that I own old guitars where the old cracked finish is appreciated and desirable.

New temples and they’re generic art and design are a dime a dozen. IMO these historical building deserve to be preserved even if the use of the rooms and process changes.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:46 pm

Lucidity wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:48 pm
Am I he only one that is bothered by the removal of the murals? What happened to the preservation of “our” history and a reverence to the artisans and craftsmen who created these great structures?

Maybe it’s the artist in me and the fact that I own old guitars where the old cracked finish is appreciated and desirable.

New temples and they’re generic art and design are a dime a dozen. IMO these historical building deserve to be preserved even if the use of the rooms and process changes.
I am very bothered by it. Taking a spectacularly unique building and genericizing it. Ugh. I hear they're covering the Sistine chapel ceiling with acoustic tiles to modernize it and make it more energy efficient.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:40 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:46 pm
Lucidity wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:48 pm

I am very bothered by it. Taking a spectacularly unique building and genericizing it. Ugh. I hear they're covering the Sistine chapel ceiling with acoustic tiles to modernize it and make it more energy efficient.
Let's just say I have "MORmON Connections" with both of these polygamy palaces.

I can't decide if I'm bothered or not by the removal of the murals. Part of me definitely is, but the little red guy on my shoulder that wants all things MORmON to go away... He's not bothered. I hesitate to compare these palaces to the Sistine chapel, but they've definitely destroyed some historical art.

Yeah. Cognitive dissonance is a funny thing when it's bouncing around in your brain, and know what it is.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:42 pm

A couple of bits of SL temple art trivia.

There's a guy in our ward who does detail work on temples. If you see a guy up on a scaffold gold plating a Moroni statue, that's either him or one of his crew. He told me the lion in the Garden Room mural was originally a female but Boyd Packer was really annoyed by that and they had to get someone to paint a mane on it. Also (I can't remember who's request this was) they had to remove the eggs from a bird nest. One of the Q12 was having theological heartburn about the chicken-or-egg conundrum.

Also, does anyone remember the painting of Ruth that used to be in the SL temple? She had a low-cut robe that was open enough you could see the edge of one nipple. It quietly vanished about the time the church started getting all worked up about naked shoulders. Too bad, it was a beautiful painting. I have tried to find a reproduction of it but it must be locked up the 1st Presidency Vault of Forgetfulness or something.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:26 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:42 pm
He told me the lion in the Garden Room mural was originally a female but Boyd Packer was really annoyed by that and they had to get someone to paint a mane on it.
Elder Packer knew, from studying the works of C.S. Lewis, that the female lion could not hold the Holy Aslan Priesthood.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:37 am

moksha wrote:The dinosaur mural in the Manti Temple was unique, but removing it is in accord with the LDS belief that the earth is only 6000 years old.

Will they keep or remove the pentagram with the goat's head at the Salt Lake Temple?
I really liked that Dinosaur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:23 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:37 am
I really liked that Dinosaur.
Is this the mural we're talking about?

I clearly remember being taught as a child that dinosaurs never existed on earth, that fossils are remnants of other destroyed worlds that were used as construction material (i.e. matter unorganized) from which the earth was constructed. I thought that sounded pretty wacky even then. Anybody who had been to Vernal, UT knew better. I have always had the impression that idea came from Joseph Fielding Smith, but I don't have a quote. If eggs in a nest in the Salt Lake garden room mural caused heartburn for some apostles, I can only imagine the internal strife that must have surrounded the dinosaur mural.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:06 pm

Going to miss all of the trained Thespians who provided years of wonderful entertainment.
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:21 pm

2bizE wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:06 pm
Going to miss all of the trained Thespians who provided years of wonderful entertainment.
The live sessions I attended always had an excellent Satan but the others were generally lackluster. Always cast a solid actor to play the bad guy; he needs to instill fear.

My first live session was kind of a WTF moment. Adam and Eve were well into their 80s and I was worried they might fall and hurt themselves.

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:03 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:21 pm
2bizE wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:06 pm
The live sessions I attended always had an excellent Satan but the others were generally lackluster. Always cast a solid actor to play the bad guy; he needs to instill fear.

My first live session was kind of a WTF moment. Adam and Eve were well into their 80s and I was worried they might fall and hurt themselves.
That made me laugh. lol