choir member resigns

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
tearjerker

choir member resigns

Post by tearjerker » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:39 am

The SLT is now reporting on the choir member that went public in her decision to quit the choir over the decision to sing at the inauguration. While some might question her decision to go public, it makes it painfully clear in the responses to her letter how divisive the public is about the incoming administration.

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/4 ... acle-choir

Her facebook post and responses here: https://www.facebook.com/jan.chamberlin ... 1389943594

Many choir members have responded to her post, and most commend her and say how much she will be missed.

document

Re: choir member resigns

Post by document » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:08 am

I've read a few comments and seen a few negative responses. Many of them assume that because she feels that she cannot perform and keep her integrity it means that they lack integrity by performing.

I don't see it as well. Morality is not universal, and while one individual may feel that performing for Pres-Elect Trump's inauguration would be an honor, others may see it differently. For the person who sees him as a potentially great president, it would be an honor. For the person who sees him as someone who is soiling the office of the president, then it heralding the event with beautiful music would feel like an endorsement.

I was happy to see many good responses from the fellow choir members. I had made an assumption that the Mormon Tabernacle Choir would handle it much like the Radio City Rockettes, where the performers could abstain without repercussion.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:26 am

I have a friend in the MoTab Orchestra. I will have to ask her about the mood in the choir and orchestra these days.

alas

Post by alas » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:45 pm

We have a friend in the choir and he says that members are free to opt out. He is opting out and wrote about not wasting his time or money just so Trump can prove that most Mormons love him. The choir is expecting more volunteers than what it plans on needing, so of those volunteering, they will draw lots to see who actually gets to go. He doesn't think that as many as they expect to volunteer will actually volunteer. I don't remember the number they will be taking or the number they expect to volunteer, but they do expect many more to volunteer than what they are able to take. This isn't a full choir performance.

Personally, I think some who disapprove of Trump will still want to go just for the opportunity. Even if you despise Trump, it is something to tell the grandchildren.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:40 pm

Glanced at the comments sections of both the Salt Lake Tribune and the Deseret News. As you may guess, the conservo-robotic-Mormons are against the lady and say the choir is better off without her. Those who do not fall into that category seem to praise her for maintaining the integrity of her beliefs.

The Church and Mitt Romney both issued strong condemnations of Donald Trump saying he was unfit to be President, but when Trump comes calling they both are willing and eager to serve. Both examples serve to llustrate the expediency of ambition.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Zadok

Post by Zadok » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:35 pm

I really don't have an opinion here other than resigning because of Trump is kinda extreme just so you can sleep in on Sunday mornings.
If I'm a bird, why can't I fly?

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:30 am

I personally really respect her choice. It is not an easy thing to go against the choir, and essentially against the Church, on something you see as a matter of moral principle. She has taken a stand for what she believes in. I have little respect for members who talk all the day long about how important it is to stand up for what you believe, but are among the first to aggressively criticize her for actually doing it.

Besides, I am troubled by the tenor of some of the comments I have seen by members who defend the Choir singing at the inauguration. Many of them freely admit that Trump has said and done despicable things, but feel that it is such a missionary opportunity that it is justifiable regardless of the moral repulsiveness of the person being inaugurated. The ends justify the means. I find it disappointing that so many of them are willing to justify an association with someone they freely admit is offensive and dangerous for the sake of exposure for the Church.

Besides, do we want the kind of converts who join a Church just because they like a musical number? It's hardly an adequate rationale for making a major life decision. Someone who joins a Church because of a musical group is a few cards short of a full deck. But then I guess if they can pay tithing who cares, right?
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

NOMinally Mormon

Post by NOMinally Mormon » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:53 pm

An uber TBM chimed in on this issue, stating that at some point we will all need to decide if we will stand with Christ. So now singing for Trump (an adulterer, among other things) is equivalent to standing with Christ.