Bundy and the Mormon Holy War

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Bundy and the Mormon Holy War

Post by moksha » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:22 pm

Ammon Bundy has amassed an army of 50,000. It's only a matter of time before his Mormon theocratic principles take on a new battle.

https://www.rawstory.com/ammon-bundy/
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Re: Bundy and the Mormon Holy War

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:39 am

Doesn’t he know that’s 48,000 more stripling warriors than he needs?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:36 pm

The fundamentalist militant form of Denver Snuffer.

Will he re-instate the Law of Adoption for the high leadership?

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:53 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:39 am
Doesn’t he know that’s 48,000 more stripling warriors than he needs?
Not to mention 49,700 more than Gideon needed.

Seriously, these guys scare me.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:52 pm

The article describes this as "a western anti-mask movement." Once he defeats that evil what will he turn his army on next? Traffic lights? Restaurant health inspections?

The church is to blame for letting things like this go this far, and it will get as bad as the the church lets it until it gathers too much momentum for them to act. They encouraged the Bundys by selling Cliven's book in their bookstore. They're quick to stomp all over really scary people like Michael Quinn and Bill Reel. I guess they didn't realize that waving guns, hating minorities, and calling yourself a patriot creates a protective forcefield.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:13 am

I’ve always admired Ammon Bunny’s beard....that’s about all.
~2bizE

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:13 am

2bizE wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:13 am
I’ve always admired Ammon Bundy’s beard....that’s about all.
~2bizE

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:56 pm

I love how the article points out that he's part of the racist Oath Keepers & Proud Boys and also mormon. That's a great look for the church.

shrugged

Post by shrugged » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:22 pm

This is the first I’ve heard of Bundt. I may have missed it reading the article quickly, but is he still a member in good standing? Has he been excommunicated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:44 pm

shrugged wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:22 pm
This is the first I’ve heard of Bundt. I may have missed it reading the article quickly, but is he still a member in good standing? Has he been excommunicated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:10 am

a) Ammon and his father should both be in jail. You shouldn't get to initiate an armed takeover of a federally owned building and walk free.

b) Grazing your cattle on federal land is freeloading. They want to use land without paying for it because they are cheapskates. Why, exactly, should they get to use land they don't own for free? Federal lands can't be a free for all for anyone to use however they see fit.

c) If everyone in America behaved like the Bundys, it would be pure anarchy. The Bundys falsely claim to be defending the Constitution, but they are anarchists in disguise, pure and simple, who don't seem to recognize the authority of anyone except themselves.

d) You're an idiot if you listen to this nut. Full stop.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:27 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:10 am
b) Grazing your cattle on federal land is freeloading. They want to use land without paying for it because they are cheapskates. Why, exactly, should they get to use land they don't own for free? Federal lands can't be a free for all for anyone to use however they see fit.
Imagine the meltdown that would happen if I showed up with a herd of cattle and wanted to graze them on the same federal land the Bundys are using. I have just as much right as they do. And if I started pointing guns at their faces to reinforce my "rights."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:59 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:27 am
Not Buying It wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:10 am
Imagine the meltdown that would happen if I showed up with a herd of cattle and wanted to graze them on the same federal land the Bundys are using. I have just as much right as they do. And if I started pointing guns at their faces to reinforce my "rights."
You are exactly right on that. The Bundys like putting a citizen's rights facade on naked self-interest and boorishness.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Keewon

Post by Keewon » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:22 pm

a) Ammon and his father should both be in jail. You shouldn't get to initiate an armed takeover of a federally owned building and walk free.
Agreed. Per my understanding, it was pure prosecutorial incompetence that led to their getting off the hook. For good or ill, the assumption of innocence and burden of proof of guilt in this country are tall hurdles to get over, as they should be.

I'm just glad Trump didn't award Bundy the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Maybe it didn't occur to him. More likely he didn't see any personal benefit in it, unlike another PMF awardee who shall not be named...