Is Dallin Oaks the worst of the current leaders?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
jfro18

Is Dallin Oaks the worst of the current leaders?

Post by jfro18 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:03 pm

As I'm doing these overviews, every time I come across the most "troubling" comments from the current generations of leaders it is almost always Oaks.

I haven't even gotten to LGBT issues yet, but he's there on how to gain a testimony, only trusting personal revelation that confirms leaders, being duped by Hoffman on the day of the bombings, etc.

On some level I feel like I'm picking on him in the last handful of overviews, but he really is a terrible leader for the church.

Is there anyone worse than Oaks?

alas

Re: Is Dallin Oaks the worst of the current leaders?

Post by alas » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:29 pm

Packer was. But mercifully he I’d dead.

I don’t think Rusty is far behind Oaks with his “God’s love is conditional.” But I think Oaks could be used as a villain like Umbrage in Harry Potter. Any one want to give it a try. Have someone just like Oasks become head Master at Hogwarts and see where it goes.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:30 am

Tough question.

I would say that oaks has given talks I liked. His last talk in GC was surprisingly helpful, in my opinion, acknowledging that we can believe different things politically and that we should follow concepts and law and not a particular person.

I don't know if Bednar has ever given a talk I liked. Or Nelson.

All three come across as pretentious dicks.

Did I really say that? Nah, surely not.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:05 am

All those guys are human, very human, and their inspiration is about equal to the guy on the street. The problem is LDS society considers them more than human- essentially demi-gods
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:46 pm

Didn’t Oaks run the surveillance program to trap homosexual students at BYU in the late 70’s?
“We are not going to stand for solicitation of sexual acts—homosexual or heterosexual—on this campus and among its students. We ask Security to be especially watchful for that kind of crime”.[10]
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:54 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:46 pm
Didn’t Oaks run the surveillance program to trap homosexual students at BYU in the late 70’s?
“We are not going to stand for solicitation of sexual acts—homosexual or heterosexual—on this campus and among its students. We ask Security to be especially watchful for that kind of crime”.[10]
And was in charge when they did electroshock therapy @ BYU.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:02 pm

I think Oaks is still by far the worst. He has harmed more people than any of the others. His last conference talk was an anomaly. He took a break from harming our gay friends to provide some necessary bashing of our republican, Trump lover members. He is preparing for his reign of power where most groups are already alienated by him.
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:39 am

jfro18 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:03 pm
Is there anyone worse than Oaks?
Some of the Brethren such as Elder Cook and Elder Bednar have not been accorded the same level of speaking opportunities as President Oaks.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:00 am

jfro18 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:54 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:46 pm
And was in charge when they did electroshock therapy @ BYU.
I think that was started under Ernest Wilkinson and continued under Dallin Oaks. Not sure if it was still going under Jeffery Holland. BYU was told by the Court that it needed to cease electronic surveillance of its suspected homosexual students without a court order signed by a judge for a valid reason. Bet Dallin Oaks was hopping mad at that ruling.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:25 pm

I constantly feel that Oaks is exactly as horrible as he can get away with. If unconstrained he would rule with blood and horror on this earth.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."