Direct link to Plural marriage in Nauvoo

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
2bizE

Direct link to Plural marriage in Nauvoo

Post by 2bizE » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:07 pm

Is there a direct link to the gospel topics essays on pleural marriage in nauvoo?
If you are on phone or tablet, the link within the plural marriage topic that is supposed to open up the plural marriage in nauvoo doesn’t work.
~2bizE

jfro18

Re: Direct link to Plural marriage in Nauvoo

Post by jfro18 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:59 pm

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:01 pm

When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Angel

Post by Angel » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:05 pm

Polygamy to gender roles are reason for things like:
https://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-wors ... ality/5835
Utah and Idaho dead last by a long shot for women's rights from everything from income gap, leadership gap, education gap, to no political representation.

Women are taught it is not your job to
provide for yourself and your children
to protect yourself
to be in any leadership roles (church, company, politics)
to have "authority" over yourself

women are still just property to Mormons.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:31 am

Hmmm, seems that Utah coming in dead last for women's equality is a bad thing. Perhaps if those leading the state could only receive some heavenly inspiration things might change.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:11 am

jfro18 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:59 pm
This is it at least on the laptop:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... o?lang=eng
Thanks. When I click on this link with my iPhone, it takes me to the gospel topics page and not to the polygamy in nauvoo page.
Do you suppose that church has done this on purpose?
~2bizE

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:37 am

There seem to be problems accessing the essays almost once a month - I don't know if they're trying to move stuff around on the website or what, but it seems to constantly happen and then eventually get fixed.

This problem does not seem to happen with conference talks or the Liahona though. :lol:

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:53 am

2bizE wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:11 am
Thanks. When I click on this link with my iPhone, it takes me to the gospel topics page and not to the polygamy in nauvoo page.
Let's put it this way: Anyone who knows even a miniscule snippet about decent webpage design can see that LD$-Inc. has made it difficult for the average user to find "The Essays" and also built-in bad design as far as Search Engine Optimization is concerned.

Yes, personally I think they do these things on purpose. They are as "transparent as they know how to be." Which means: They are completely opaque and dishonest.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:25 am

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:53 am
2bizE wrote:
Let's put it this way: Anyone who knows even a miniscule snippet about decent webpage design can see that LD$-Inc. has made it difficult for the average user to find "The Essays" and also built-in bad design as far as Search Engine Optimization is concerned.

Yes, personally I think they do these things on purpose. They are as "transparent as they know how to be." Which means: They are completely opaque and dishonest.
Yep, it was intentional. When they are motivated, they can make things incredibly easy to find: https://philanthropies.churchofjesuschrist.org/
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:25 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:25 am
wtfluff wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:53 am
2bizE wrote:

Yep, it was intentional. When they are motivated, they can make things incredibly easy to find: https://philanthropies.churchofjesuschrist.org/
Excellent point.

If LD$-Inc. wants you to give them ca$h money: Website navigation is easy-peasy.

If LD$-Inc. is attempting to be transparent about their history: Website navigation is poorly designed and cumbersome, links are buried and labeled confusingly, etc. etc. Finding information is nigh impossible.

Edit: Instantly after I hit submit I remembered another past example of something similar to this brought up on another message board some time in recent the past. There was a time when LD$-Inc. actually programmed the search engine on their website to make it impossible to search for the name Hellen Mar Kimball. I don't remember exactly how it re-directed the search, but it was blatantly obvious that they had actually programmed their website to gaslight the searcher. I have screenshots of this because I had to test it myself to actually believe what they had done. I wonder which old backup hard-drive those screen shots are on? I didn't take much time after this blatant dishonesty was pointed out on that other message board before they got rid of the Hellen Mar Kimball gaslight-search-option. Remember how fun that was COB lurkers?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:13 pm

When I searched plural marriage in nauvoo all I got was some weird fundy undy frontier sex cult stuff, a few temple bathtubs pics, and a weird potato flake fetish. :lol:

Oh and a penguin rolling around in green jello and carrots??
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:35 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:13 pm
Oh and a penguin rolling around in green jello and carrots??
Carrots!!!?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha