What do you believe about it now?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Re: What do you believe about it now?

Post by moksha » Tue May 11, 2021 1:52 am

The Church also has the potential to pry its members away from the fascist pathway that leads them to boo Mitt Romney and join in insurrections.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue May 11, 2021 6:30 am

hmb wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 5:03 am
I have wondered if the prophets really do believe?
I think Nelson actually believes he is very special and that God, though not actually speaking, is giving him impressions. I'm a prophet, so random things that pop into my head MUST therefore be prophesy.

I don't think Monson believed anything like that. Of course, we have no way of knowing. Maybe if we pray about it?

I'm sure there must be a great deal of emotional reorienting for those men who work their way up the ranks only to get to the top and find that there's nothing special going on in the penthouse. That its a great incentive or them to generate a sense of eliteness for themselves, not because they actually have any special access to God or power, but because they are in a special club and essentially "better" than everyone else by default. I suspect the yes-men/women who bow and scrape for them every day have a lot to do with perpetuating their delusion of nobility. And the fact that the higher up you get the more you are quoted in conference as ultimately authoritative. "Welcome to the 192nd Russell M. Nelson worship session of the Church of Russell M. Nelson and Lots of New Temples of Latter-Day Saints."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri May 14, 2021 5:29 am

Does anyone find the back of President Nelson's gravestone to be faith-affirming?

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2021/05 ... rmon-land/
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Linked

Post by Linked » Fri May 14, 2021 10:33 am

moksha wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:29 am
Does anyone find the back of President Nelson's gravestone to be faith-affirming?

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2021/05 ... rmon-land/
It's disgusting. He used his power to memorialize himself with a priceless piece of my history. It's gaudy and unfair.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri May 14, 2021 4:01 pm

I'm curious- Who decided to put the Brigham Young statue on the corner of State and Main? I'm betting it wasn't Brigham. Not to put down Pres. Nelson. Church prophets have a tradition of memorializing themselves.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri May 14, 2021 11:02 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:01 pm
Church prophets have a tradition of memorializing themselves.
Wonder if they could set aside a portion of Central Utah that could be known as The Valley of the Prophets, which could have some 40' by 40' pyramids.
-- Moksha

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Sun May 30, 2021 8:36 am

It is rather obvious it is all made up. But when you are in it to seems real. Its like some kind of virtual reality someone needs to pull the plug on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison