Garments and Temple recommend interview

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
2bizE

Re: Garments and Temple recommend interview

Post by 2bizE » Thu May 13, 2021 8:40 pm

The Holy Spirit has confirmed to me that wearing garments when it is warm or hot outside is hazardous to my health and should be avoided....
~2bizE

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Fri May 14, 2021 6:13 am

2bizE wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:40 pm
The Holy Spirit has confirmed to me that wearing garments when it is warm or hot outside is hazardous to my health and should be avoided....
According to the new statement on wearing the garment...
It should not be removed for activities that can reasonably be done while wearing the garment
For me, simply existing during summer months is an activity that can't reasonably be done while wearing garments. It's unreasonable to layer up when temperatures go north of 75 degrees in humid climates.
Endowed members should seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit to answer personal questions about wearing the garment.
You're covered.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri May 14, 2021 11:27 am

nibbler wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 6:13 am
2bizE wrote:
It should not be removed for activities that can reasonably be done while wearing the garment
For me, simply existing during summer months is an activity that can't reasonably be done while wearing garments. It's unreasonable to layer up when temperatures go north of 75 degrees in humid climates.
Endowed members should seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit to answer personal questions about wearing the garment.
You're covered.
There’s an argument to be made that you can reasonably have sexual relations while wearing the garment. Doesn’t mean you should, but falls under there all encompassing umbrella statement.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri May 14, 2021 1:54 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:27 am
nibbler wrote:
2bizE wrote:
You're covered.
There’s an argument to be made that you can reasonably have sexual relations while wearing the garment. Doesn’t mean you should, but falls under there all encompassing umbrella statement.
Methinks this may require the female reverting to full length garments of the past that had a “trap door”.
~2bizE

Stig

Post by Stig » Fri May 14, 2021 3:50 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:27 am
nibbler wrote:
2bizE wrote:
You're covered.
There mere notion that you have envisioned the "how" for this situation is disturbing in, and of, itself.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri May 14, 2021 4:06 pm

What do you think born in the covenant means?

Conceived through the garment “veil”.
Birthed though the garment “trap door”!
That’s the way real hardcore Mormons Do it!!

Mormonism is really weird isn’t it?

Religious underwear has to be the single most silliest thing ever. Here, put this on! God wants you to be reminded of him.... by wearing this long underwear! I know, I know... it’s uncomfortable, hot, and extremely unattractive. Just the way God planned so you’re always annoyed and pimping an outward expression of an inner commitment! You’re a proud mormon!!

Take for example if you’re a Chicago Bulls fan. You wear your outward expression (Jersey) of your Chicago commitment on the outside so everyone can see it. You’re a proud fan!

Mormons should be required to do the same! Wear the temple garments on the outside of their clothes. Or better yet, wear the whole temple outfit in public. Show the world you’re truly committed!

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri May 14, 2021 6:25 pm

I might wear some Utah Jazz branded garments.
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat May 15, 2021 5:55 am

This particularly applies to WELL endowed members. Someone who is tuned into to said spirit will recognize the still small voice on hot summer days prompting them to "let the dogs out."

I definitely felt the guidance of the Holy Spirit last time I had a recommend interview and they handed me the laminated card to read. The Spirit said, "I just can't let you keep participating in this creepy behavior. Meet me at Bad Ass Coffee and we'll work on a plan to get you the hell out."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon May 24, 2021 6:18 pm

This link/document has great info on the temple garment.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160314145 ... rments.htm
~2bizE

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Tue May 25, 2021 7:16 pm

Underwear: Has nothing to do with religion any more than which socks you wear. Choose what suits you best.

Booze: Pull a cork once in a while but be careful. Have to be careful not to do it in front of Mormons. They tattle.

Coffee and tea: come the hell on....this is not bad for anyone.

Temples and temple work: Not for me, but if other enjoy sitting in uncomfortable chairs, smelling the breath of some geezer next to you, together with his farts- go for it. Just don't do the "humble brag" and tell everyone how much temple work you do. No one cares.

Anything that is created to exclude anyone needs to be re-examined. Garments are part of the problem, not the solution.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue May 25, 2021 8:41 pm

Gatorbait wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:16 pm
Coffee and tea: come the hell on....this is not bad for anyone.
If you really want to sin, drink Dr. Pepper.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue May 25, 2021 8:51 pm

Gatorbait wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:16 pm
Anything that is created to exclude anyone needs to be re-examined. Garments are part of the problem, not the solution.
That's one of the best phrases I've read in a while.

Elohim-Inc.™ and it's exclusionary teachings/tactics: Part of the problem, not the solution.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue May 25, 2021 8:59 pm

2bizE wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 6:18 pm
This link/document has great info on the temple garment.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160314145 ... rments.htm
Was that site pulled down off the internet? I remember reading that years ago.

I wonder if we can recreate/copy the content over here for posterity sake. It looks like they say it can be used and copied.

I hate when old sites go dark. Uh Thayne...?

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Wed May 26, 2021 2:27 pm

Wasn't that one of the chief things over which Jesus got pissy with the Pharisees? Outward expressions of inward commitments.

When you go that route it doesn't take very long for people to start judging inward commitments by someone's ability to display outward expressions.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed May 26, 2021 3:51 pm

nibbler wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 2:27 pm
Wasn't that one of the chief things over which Jesus got pissy with the Pharisees? Outward expressions of inward commitments.

When you go that route it doesn't take very long for people to start judging inward commitments by someone's ability to display outward expressions.
Ha! Isn’t that the whole point of an outward expression? Look at meeeeeeee!

And isn’t a tattoo an outward expression?

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed May 26, 2021 6:20 pm

I’m still digging to find the origin of the statement that the garment is to be worn night and day. I came across this initiatory script from 1982. I didn’t realize the washing verbiage is so different for the man vs. woman.
Still found only the instruction (no covenant) to wear the garment throughout your life...

http://www.mormonismi.net/vince_hoffer/ ... tuals.html
~2bizE

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu May 27, 2021 1:19 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:51 pm
nibbler wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 2:27 pm

Ha! Isn’t that the whole point of an outward expression? Look at meeeeeeee!

And isn’t a tattoo an outward expression?
Part of the point is to make you psychologically invested in a group ("I am wearing this because I am one of us"), which makes you think and act more like the group does, including your attitude toward outsiders. Think of how uniforms affect the person wearing one.

It can be used for unity and good, or division and evil, or anything in between. These days I lean toward thinking it's a bit dangerous.

If I got a tattoo, it would be of the symbol for Earth from the Stargate series, to remind myself that the group I belong to first and foremost is humanity. Also it's nerdy, so I suppose there's some self-identification there...
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.