New Apologetic Movie: Witnesses

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Corsair

New Apologetic Movie: Witnesses

Post by Corsair » Thu May 06, 2021 10:46 am

The Interpreter Foundation has a new entry into mainstream movie apologetics: Witnesses.
For nearly 200 years, skeptics and critics have attempted to explain away what David Whitmer, Oliver Cowdery and Martin Harris claimed—that they had seen angels and hefted golden metal plates containing ancient inscriptions. Now, for the first time, their amazing untold true story comes to the big screen in the family film event of the year – WITNESSES. Featuring a world-class cast, WITNESSES has been hailed as the most significant and ambitious film dealing with the early history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the translation of the Book of Mormon ever made. Directed by Mark Goodman, the film explores how Harris, Cowdery and Whitmer became known as the Three Witnesses and how, to their dying days, they defended their testimonies even when faced with threatening mobs, ridicule, and betrayal by friends and family.
The production values look pretty good in the trailer. I'm sure this will be a staple of seminary, institute classes, youth firesides, and family home evenings for many years to come.

jfro18

Re: New Apologetic Movie: Witnesses

Post by jfro18 » Thu May 06, 2021 11:24 am

This makes me want so badly to find a way to get a team to develop a TV series on Joseph Smith... it would be beyond entertaining even if you stick to verifiable events/history/etc.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu May 06, 2021 11:31 am

The burning question: Will they mention the Magick Rock™?

(Or was it the Hat that was Magick?)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu May 06, 2021 1:35 pm

I just watched the trailer. I wonder if it will skip the part where Martin Harris spoke to God in the form of a deer. I also wonder if the Anthon incident is mentioned whether it will tell the story that Harris told or include how Anthon reported it. It looks like it covers the conflict between JS and the witnesses, but I will be curious to see if Fanny Alger has a scene or two. I hope they include a depiction of the Salt Sermon and JS's endorsement of the sentiments.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu May 06, 2021 2:23 pm

blazerb wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:35 pm
I just watched the trailer. I wonder if it will skip the part where Martin Harris spoke to God in the form of a deer. I also wonder if the Anthon incident is mentioned whether it will tell the story that Harris told or include how Anthon reported it. It looks like it covers the conflict between JS and the witnesses, but I will be curious to see if Fanny Alger has a scene or two. I hope they include a depiction of the Salt Sermon and JS's endorsement of the sentiments.
How about Oliver Cowdery and his Magick Wands? Um... I mean: Divining Rods. (I'm just guessing he had more than one, maybe he had a singular Magick Wand...)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Thu May 06, 2021 2:34 pm

The witnesses are certainly a problem for the Church, and not just the three, but also the eight.

We have no signed document even.

But they're pretty far down my list of problems. Seems an odd choice to focus on actually. I guess the rest of the problems are just so unaddressable.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu May 06, 2021 5:32 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:23 pm
How about Oliver Cowdery and his Magick Wands? Um... I mean: Divining Rods. (I'm just guessing he had more than one, maybe he had a singular Magick Wand...)
When you have the "gift of the rod," you better use it or lose it.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu May 06, 2021 8:04 pm

dogbite wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:34 pm
The witnesses are certainly a problem for the Church, and not just the three, but also the eight.

We have no signed document even.

But they're pretty far down my list of problems. Seems an odd choice to focus on actually. I guess the rest of the problems are just so unaddressable.
The witnesses are absolute gold for the church because the evidence is so much flimsier than most of the truth claim problems (DNA, Book of Abraham, anachronisms, etc).

I can't tell you how many times people have thrown the witnesses back at me on the website as proof that it's all true. "They never lost their testimony in the BoM even after leaving the church, which tells you that they really saw the plates."

And since the evidence is so flimsy for for and against, you can kind of do a 'choose your own adventure' on the witnesses.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu May 06, 2021 9:02 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:04 pm
I can't tell you how many times people have thrown the witnesses back at me on the website as proof that it's all true. "They never lost their testimony in the BoM even after leaving the church, which tells you that they really saw the plates."
How many of the "witnesses" never "lost their "testimony" of the Voree Plates?

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu May 06, 2021 9:38 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:02 pm
I confess I don’t know my Strangite doctrine like I used to. Can someone please translate for me?

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu May 06, 2021 10:49 pm

There is a scene in the movie in which Joseph Smith has the golden plates wrapped up in a sack and he clubs one of his pursuers with it. No one was actually hurt because they were using the plastic replica to run through the woods. The weight of real gold would make that stunt impossible.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu May 06, 2021 10:53 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:38 pm
I confess I don’t know my Strangite doctrine like I used to. Can someone please translate for me?
A -------, a ------, and a con artist walk into a bar.
The bartender asks:
-What will it be Mr. Trump?
Last edited by moksha on Sat May 08, 2021 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri May 07, 2021 5:18 am

wtfluff wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:02 pm
They've already checked out of the conversation at this point.

It's like when someone says "Oh David Koresh having sex with his followers was evil, but when Joseph Smith did it you know *that* was really from God."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri May 07, 2021 6:11 am

blazerb wrote:
I wonder if it will skip the part where Martin Harris spoke to God in the form of a deer.
Or that he was also one of Gladden Bishop's three witnesses who bore testimony that he also had the gold plates and Urim & Thummim. Or about the angel he saw when he followed the shakers, or the time he spent in spiritualism attending seances, or the time Satan attacked him in the form of a blackberry bush...
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri May 07, 2021 6:32 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:11 am
blazerb wrote:
I wonder if it will skip the part where Martin Harris spoke to God in the form of a deer.
Or that he was also one of Gladden Bishop's three witnesses who bore testimony that he also had the gold plates and Urim & Thummim. Or about the angel he saw when he followed the shakers, or the time he spent in spiritualism attending seances, or the time Satan attacked him in the form of a blackberry bush...
I feel like a really good movie about Martin Harris would be chock full of crazy.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri May 07, 2021 8:18 am

I suspect that this interest in the Three Witnesses has been fomenting in LDS apologetic circles for some time. They are convinced by the strength of this testimony and are assuming that this will be convincing to others also.

Dan Peterson at the Lethbridge YSA Stake FHE: The Witnesses

What Do the Witnesses to the Book of Mormon Prove?

For me, the witnesses simply demonstrate that Joseph Smith was a compelling religious figure.

Linked

Post by Linked » Fri May 07, 2021 8:22 am

blazerb wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:32 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:23 pm
When you have the "gift of the rod," you better use it or lose it.
Didn't Boyd K. Packer say that we could idle the "gift of the rod" and it would start back up just fine when we needed it?
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Linked

Post by Linked » Fri May 07, 2021 8:30 am

jfro18 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:04 pm

And since the evidence is so flimsy for for and against, you can kind of do a 'choose your own adventure' on the witnesses.
Emphasis added.

I think that this is why they are focusing on the witnesses of the BoM. It's easy to grab onto for a testimony, so lots of people do. I also think it is a backstop for many people's testimony of the BoM; when a believer realizes the DNA evidence strongly suggests the BoM is fake, and that the archaeological evidence strongly suggests the BoM is fake they can lean on the witnesses. As long as they don't dig at all. At first glance it appears to be a strong piece of evidence in favor of the truthfulness of the BoM. Until you learn about spiritual eyes and the actual accounts of the witnesses and that the witnesses didn't actually sign and that many similar books have similar witnesses which are not taken seriously.

So anything apologists can do to strengthen the witnesses and convince people they don't need to dig helps keep those people from losing their testimony of the BoM. I don't think it will be particularly effective though. The game has really changed with the internet.

Edited for clarity
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Exiled

Post by Exiled » Fri May 07, 2021 8:47 am

I think the witnesses are the best thing the church has in a sea of evidence against its claims. There isn't any evidence in the americas that the Nephites ever existed. The church with all its billions doesn't even bother to look (because they know they won't find anything). Joseph Smith is turning out to be a serial plagiarizer (Adam Clarke, the bible writers, and others should get a lot of the credit for the supposed scriptures JS created). Yet, these witnesses saw something, supposedly, and it gives the member something to hang his/her hat on when faced with the mountains of evidence against.

The trouble I see with the witnesses is that eye witness testimony is unreliable. People can be duped by magicians into believing they saw something when they really didn't. Martin Harris claimed to have spoken to Jesus in the form of a deer. He was a witness to the vorhee plates, too. Oliver Cowdery and David Whitmer wanted to be leaders in the church and were running things in Missouri for a time. They weren't going to say all of a sudden that it was a hoax when their power depended on it. Also, recanting has a cost associated with it. People duped based on false witness testimony tend to get mad and reputations suffer as a result. The safe route is to remain true to the false nonsense because admitting to the lie would be a lot worse.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat May 08, 2021 7:43 am

jfro18 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:24 am
This makes me want so badly to find a way to get a team to develop a TV series on Joseph Smith... it would be beyond entertaining even if you stick to verifiable events/history/etc.
If there were a TV series in Joseph it would be somewhere between Sex in the City (prairie) and Dallas.
~2bizE