Missouri Trial of Joseph Smith and others, Nov. 12, 1838

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

Missouri Trial of Joseph Smith and others, Nov. 12, 1838

Post by deacon blues » Sun May 09, 2021 7:47 pm

Here is a site that has the records of Joseph Smith's trial in Missouri Nov. 12, 1838. Included is testimony by W.W.Phelps, Thomas Marsh, Sampson Avard, John Corrill, and others concerning the Mormon War of 1838. The testimony includes pretty reliable confirmation that the Mormons burned homes and stole property, as well as the Gentiles. http://www.olivercowdery.com/smithhome/1838Sent.htm

Joseph is known to have recorded the existence of the Danites in his journal, an entry that was later crossed out: “we have a company of Danites in these times, to put to rights physically that which is not righ[t], and to clense the Church of verry great evils which hath hitherto existed among us, inasmuch as they cannot be put to rights by teachings & persuaysons, This company or a part of them exhibited on the fourth day of July. They come up to consecrate, by companies of tens, commanded by their Captain over ten” (The Joseph Smith Papers: Journals Volume 1, p. 293).

Danites who maintained lifelong loyalty to the LDS Church later wrote of what they did to defenseless “gentiles” during this “Mormon War” in Missouri. For example, twenty-year-old Benjamin F. Johnson participated in a raid that Danite captain Cornelius P. Lott led against an isolated settlement:

My sympathies were drawn toward the women and children, but I would in no degree let them deter me from duty. So while others were pillaging for something to carry away, I was doing my best to protect, as far as possible, the lives and comfort of the [non-Mormon] families who were dependent on getting away on horseback. . . . While others were doing the burning and plunder, my mission was of mercy so far as duty would permit. But of course I made enemies at home [among fellow Mormons], and became more known by those who were our avowed enemies. Before noon we had set all [houses and barns] on fire and left upon a circuitous route towards home.

https://sunstonemagazine.com/the-cultur ... ii/#_edn11

Of course most Church members remain ignorant of this because it's always been classified as anti-Mormon lies. :o :? :roll:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Thoughtful

Re: Missouri Trial of Joseph Smith and others, Nov. 12, 1838

Post by Thoughtful » Sat May 22, 2021 4:06 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:47 pm
Here is a site that has the records of Joseph Smith's trial in Missouri Nov. 12, 1838. Included is testimony by W.W.Phelps, Thomas Marsh, Sampson Avard, John Corrill, and others concerning the Mormon War of 1838. The testimony includes pretty reliable confirmation that the Mormons burned homes and stole property, as well as the Gentiles. http://www.olivercowdery.com/smithhome/1838Sent.htm

Joseph is known to have recorded the existence of the Danites in his journal, an entry that was later crossed out: “we have a company of Danites in these times, to put to rights physically that which is not righ[t], and to clense the Church of verry great evils which hath hitherto existed among us, inasmuch as they cannot be put to rights by teachings & persuaysons, This company or a part of them exhibited on the fourth day of July. They come up to consecrate, by companies of tens, commanded by their Captain over ten” (The Joseph Smith Papers: Journals Volume 1, p. 293).

Danites who maintained lifelong loyalty to the LDS Church later wrote of what they did to defenseless “gentiles” during this “Mormon War” in Missouri. For example, twenty-year-old Benjamin F. Johnson participated in a raid that Danite captain Cornelius P. Lott led against an isolated settlement:

My sympathies were drawn toward the women and children, but I would in no degree let them deter me from duty. So while others were pillaging for something to carry away, I was doing my best to protect, as far as possible, the lives and comfort of the [non-Mormon] families who were dependent on getting away on horseback. . . . While others were doing the burning and plunder, my mission was of mercy so far as duty would permit. But of course I made enemies at home [among fellow Mormons], and became more known by those who were our avowed enemies. Before noon we had set all [houses and barns] on fire and left upon a circuitous route towards home.

Of course most Church members remain ignorant of this because it's always been classified as anti-Mormon lies. :o :? :roll:
The quote is from an ancestor of mine. Thanks for sharing.

alas

Post by alas » Sat May 22, 2021 7:03 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 4:06 pm
deacon blues wrote:

If B.F. Johnson is an ancestor of yours, we are related. My ancestor was his younger brother, George.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun May 23, 2021 3:13 pm

alas wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:03 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
deacon blues wrote:

If B.F. Johnson is an ancestor of yours, we are related. My ancestor was his younger brother, George.
Hello cousin! My direct ancestor is BF's brother Joseph Ellis. The Johnson's were pretty illustrious in the early church, with Joel Hills writing High On a Mountaintop; BF being a Danite, Almera a plural wife of Joseph Smith, Joseph Ellis a prominent member of the Orson Hyde company. I believe George kept quite a few records of his own and wrote an autobiography as well.

alas

Post by alas » Sun May 23, 2021 6:12 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 3:13 pm
alas wrote:
Thoughtful wrote:

Hello cousin! My direct ancestor is BF's brother Joseph Ellis. The Johnson's were pretty illustrious in the early church, with Joel Hills writing High On a Mountaintop; BF being a Danite, Almera a plural wife of Joseph Smith, Joseph Ellis a prominent member of the Orson Hyde company. I believe George kept quite a few records of his own and wrote an autobiography as well.
We have lots of cousins as that particular Johnson family is the largest extended family in the whole church. I remember my grandmother ranting about how many men different branches of the family had sealed to Ezekial Johnson's mother to. Grandma insisted that she should only be sealed to the man she married in life, not every possibility for a father for Ezekial. Now, they have done DNA studies of other descendents of an Ezekial Johnson who proved to be the father of our Ezekial, whose wife and 17 children joined the church.

Have you read the series of books on the family? I got about to the point where Almera married Joseph and my stomach could take any more. I don't even know if I bought all of the series. The series is named "A Banner is Unfurled" books 1 through 6 or something like that.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun May 23, 2021 6:16 pm

alas wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:12 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
alas wrote:

We have lots of cousins as that particular Johnson family is the largest extended family in the whole church. I remember my grandmother ranting about how many men different branches of the family had sealed to Ezekial Johnson's mother to. Grandma insisted that she should only be sealed to the man she married in life, not every possibility for a father for Ezekial. Now, they have done DNA studies of other descendents of an Ezekial Johnson who proved to be the father of our Ezekial, whose wife and 17 children joined the church.

Have you read the series of books on the family? I got about to the point where Almera married Joseph and my stomach could take any more. I don't even know if I bought all of the series. The series is named "A Banner is Unfurled" books 1 through 6 or something like that.
Familiar with them but haven't read them. BF writings about Almera marrying JS turn my stomach, which is on part why the above quote is a relief, like even gross people have a redeeming quality. Have you read Trails to Sundown? It can be hard to find a copy.

alas

Post by alas » Sun May 23, 2021 6:21 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:16 pm
alas wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:12 pm
Thoughtful wrote:

Familiar with them but haven't read them. BF writings about Almera marrying JS turn my stomach, which is on part why the above quote is a relief, like even gross people have a redeeming quality. Have you read Trails to Sundown? It can be hard to find a copy.
Nope. What is it about?