Background Checks for Working with Kids

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Just This Guy

Background Checks for Working with Kids

Post by Just This Guy » Mon May 17, 2021 8:50 am

A little over a month ago, my local ward was part of a redraw of stake boundaries. Several stakes were redone to make a 5 to 6 split. Of course, none of the wards are actually growing, so it's more of the numbers game. So my local ward was moved from the Martins burg, WV state to Clarksburg, PA. So if I actually cared to go, the stake center has gone from an hour and a half to an hour and 45 minutes from my house.

Anyway, DW is good friends with the primary president of the local ward. She was telling DW that she is having to go though a FBI background check. As part of a church that is based out of the state of Pennsylvania, State law requires that church leadership must have a background check before working with children. Because the stake is in PA, all wards are subject to PA law regarding this, even if they are in a different state.

DW's found the conversation with her friend interesting. The friends position was reluctant to admit it, but was actually kinda glad to go though the headache of the background check and was reluctantly wondering why it wasn't more common in the church.

So yet again, Mormonism is being forced to come up to 21 century standards kicking and screaming.
Last edited by Just This Guy on Tue May 18, 2021 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Palerider

Re: Background Checks for Working with Kids

Post by Palerider » Mon May 17, 2021 2:09 pm

You would think they would have learned from polygamy, the priesthood restrictions and the rest that they should actually be ahead of the curve rather than always behind it.

I think the problem is there is a "satisfaction paradigm" within leadership that promotes inertia. They like things the way they are and resent being told what to do. As their own scriptures attest they are stiff-necked and slow to harken, much less see the future.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington