I will try NOT to FIX you

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
RubinHighlander

I will try NOT to FIX you

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:11 pm

Regurgitated from LDSliving, regurgitated from a TBM friend's IG feed:
FixYou.jpg
FixYou.jpg (221.42 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
The age old attempt to change words and language in order to combat the perception of recruiting into the cult or looking down on others as broken because they are not part of the tribe. It's an irony, that a religion/tribe is special because it's different that others, but still wants everyone else to conform. Conformity of everyone then kills the tribe or the specialness, leading to break off tribes. It's a crazy model and sapiens will eventually either die by that sword or hopefully evolve out of and beat into a plow shear.

The fishing analogy does not work for me. Fishermen catch fish in nets and with hooks, taking away their freedom. They either trick fish to taking the bait or they are captured in a net (baptized at 8yrs old). They use the fish for their own purposes, telling them to stay in the tank for their own safety, using up most of their time, talents and resources until the fish endure to the end.

I'm guessing this is in reaction to the increase in those who have left, telling those still in that they are not broken, that their lives are actually better without the church. "Oh, we are not trying to fix you because you are broken, it's just that we love you...to be like us, so you can be blessed and pay your retirement into the billions of $$$ of funds we've already collected. Jebus and his old special white guys and their families need guaranteed prosperity in the now and future. But they will make you think we are a highly charitable organization, by hiding the details from you so you don't have to worry about that. I mean, what's the cost of eternal life and mormon happiness, forever making Fd up worlds full of crazy apes where only .02% of the population is special? Sounds like a grand plan...not to me.

The word "unconditional love" in a Mormon context, really just turns my stomach. It's such an oxymoron in their culture and dogma.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

1smartdodog

Re: I will try NOT to FIX you

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:42 pm

How about unconditional acceptance. That would really be much harder than unconditional love

To love you must accept the non believer, the gay person, the non conformist as equal and deserving as yourself before god

Criminals and doers of harm excluded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:13 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:42 pm
How about unconditional acceptance. That would really be much harder than unconditional love

To love you must accept the non believer, the gay person, the non conformist as equal and deserving as yourself before god

Get rid of religion and you'll make some huge strides toward that state! The problem is that "acceptance" of anything not in harmony with your tribe's dogma waters down the tribe's specialness. How do you maintain the "We are the best and most special tribe, join us." if you just accept everyone for who they are and what they believe? The oddities and and being unaccepting of things outside the tribe are the things that give the tribe purpose. Religions, like political state, need common enemies of the state to keep those old guys employed. Satan is a good invisible boogeyman, but also having the rest of the world to fight polarizes tribal members and rallies up their dedication and loyalty.

So placate the tribe with a few words about love and acceptance, maybe give in a little over time on some social issues, but "The righteous shall be few because of the wicked." at least in these "latter" days.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:29 pm

When it comes to LGBTQ stuff, it's true that if you remove marriage then acceptance would come so much quicker.

On Twitter whenever I post something about acceptance of same-sex marriage I immediately get replies of 'If the world throws away God's laws for the world, then what's left?"

And I'm mostly involved in political twitter so this is not just a Mormon thing by any stretch.

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:30 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
1smartdodog wrote:

Get rid of religion and you'll make some huge strides toward that state! The problem is that "acceptance" of anything not in harmony with your tribe's dogma waters down the tribe's specialness. How do you maintain the "We are the best and most special tribe, join us." if you just accept everyone for who they are and what they believe? The oddities and and being unaccepting of things outside the tribe are the things that give the tribe purpose. Religions, like political state, need common enemies of the state to keep those old guys employed. Satan is a good invisible boogeyman, but also having the rest of the world to fight polarizes tribal members and rallies up their dedication and loyalty.

So placate the tribe with a few words about love and acceptance, maybe give in a little over time on some social issues, but "The righteous shall be few because of the wicked." at least in these "latter" days.
True

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:24 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Kapow!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

græy

Post by græy » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:45 am

I commented on a reddit post earlier today with a graphic about dueling profits - some claiming to God's unconditional love, while other tried to show that his love has conditions on our obedience.

https://imgur.com/e4trB5f

This quote stood out to me:
"He invited men to love one another as He has loved us, and then He would call them His disciples. He extended His love to His Apostles on condition that they understood what unconditional love for their fellowman was." John Sonnenberg, Ensign, April 1985
We should "love as he loved" for which he "extends his love" on condition that we ourselves practice unconditional love? There are at least a few layers of contradiction in that one quote alone.

I recently listened Bill Reel's and RFM's Adam-God doctrine episode. And they're right, if the key to life eternal is knowing God as it says in John 17:3, then we will be hopelessly lost following our "prophets". They don't know who God is. The don't know of his character or attributes. They guess. They make God in their own image, based on their own philosophies mingled with scripture.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:34 am

græy wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:45 am
They don't know who God is. The don't know of his character or attributes. They guess. They make God in their own image, based on their own philosophies mingled with scripture.
Nailed it! It's THEIR GOD that they made up to try and force on you. Their God can love unconditionally or wipe out a bunch of sapiens with a bolt of lightning, tornado or virus. Their god can change his mind or not mind being thrown under the bus by his prophets when policy and revelation have dissonance over social issues. Their god loves profits off the back of innocent people under the ruse of magic, fear and guilt! His ways are not our ways, just another reason he is not my god, not a real god, just a crazy idea that our tribalistic brains love to entertain.
--Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:26 am

And Jesus said unto him, "Thou shalt not waste thy time on any man who claims he knows what God wants you to do. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt not give him money."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:43 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:26 am
And Jesus said unto him, "Thou shalt not waste thy time on any man who claims he knows what God wants you to do. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt not give him money."
I want this bumper sticker! But swap Jesus with Jebus.
--Douglas Adams