What Q15 would do as Prophet

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
2bizE

What Q15 would do as Prophet

Post by 2bizE » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:26 am

Interesting article about what each of the Q15 would do as president.
Thoughts?
https://zelophehadsdaughters.com/2021/0 ... -churches/
~2bizE

græy

Re: What Q15 would do as Prophet

Post by græy » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:23 am

2bizE wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:26 am
Interesting article about what each of the Q15 would do as president.
Thoughts?
https://zelophehadsdaughters.com/2021/0 ... -churches/
Bednar becomes president: Ban on loud laughter is expanded to include all laughter.
:lol: :D

Its only funny because it's true!

I don't necessarily agree with where they placed some of the Q15 on the progressive side. But there is some funny stuff there.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:34 am

There is some strong wishful thinking in that lineup. They're all at least in the middle, but more on the fundy side of middle.

The Silver Fox's "doubts your doubts" and "unruly children" comments far outweigh his barely-almost-apology. The top 2 are literal fundamentalists, and I'd throw in Ballard for good measure. Some of the younger, brownish-nosed guys like Bednar, Cook, Anderson and the ever-awful Rasband haven't said anything soulful in their lives, but wave their hands around any time Russ is in the building so that maybe the Top Boss will give them a cookie (cookie = plumb assignment or development deal to their kids).

Sorry about the saltiness, these guys cause(d) a lot of pain and harm to me and mine and I'd give my eye teeth to see just one of them actually face legitimate accountability for their actions.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:08 pm

The article is a reasonable prediction of what each apostle would like to do in their tenure as holder of the key to the Holy of Holies. But suppose we were to wind this article back to 50 years to 1971 and when Joseph Fielding Smith was prophet. Spencer Kimball was second in line to a younger and relatively healthy Harold B. Lee who was presumed to be prophet for a long time. But Lee passed away before he had a year under his belt and Kimball found himself in the top spot.

Lester Bush had not yet published his famous 1973 research article on the history of the priesthood ban. Edward Kimball's biography of his father mentions that Spencer Kimball studied that article quite heavily. Subsequently, Spencer spent a lot of time behind the scenes lobbying for the change in the policy with apostles and other leaders, often in one-on-one situations. Arranging for Mark E. Peterson to be out of the country during June 1978 may have been a calculated maneuver to get the policy in place without one of the more vocal proponents opposing it in person. Ending the priesthood ban was a long term project, not just a new, random agenda item during a Thursday meeting in the temple in 1978.

The point for us is that the President of TCoJCoLDS is not a dictator nor an autocrat. As liberal as we might expect Holland or Uchtdorf to be, their ability to get anything done will depend on getting the support of other, younger apostles. This includes those that are on the more conservative, doctrinaire end of the spectrum.

Nelson has done this well. He is astonishingly active and healthy for a nonagenarian. Plus, his ideas are leading to a church that is more dependent on "Follow the Prophet" even though "home centered teaching" is a central idea. Nelson's general fame and popularity among the LDS faithful is further bolstered by meeting with the Pope and building a temple in Rome. Nelson appears to have the other apostles largely on his side starting with Oaks, the right hand man of Nelson. He has the backing to get things done.

Successive prophets will have need to function similarly which might be a challenge for the "Biden voters" among the Quorum.