Brutal but accurate description of Mormonism

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Brutal but accurate description of Mormonism

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:24 pm

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Re: Brutal but accurate description of Mormonism

Post by moksha » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:14 am

What happens to a peasant who kills a deer on the land of a General Authority?

Wait, is this the thread on Mormonism of the 12th Century... sorry for the mistake.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:52 am

Bill Maher wrote: It's not unfair to ask serious candidate Mitt Romney if he really believes that Joseph Smith received golden plates from an angel in 1823, and translated them into "scripture" that contains not a single person or place name that has been shown to ever exist.

Are you too gullible to be president if you believe in a world full of characters who appear in the historical record exacly as often as leprechauns?
Golly, I sure wish I could remember things like this for that never-to-happen occasion when I could use it in discussion with a believer. :P
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:26 pm

I love that he used leprechauns, which is my favorite point of comparison.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."