Kirby: Sunday School lessons for the foyer crowd.

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Spicy McHaggis

Kirby: Sunday School lessons for the foyer crowd.

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:30 pm

LadyLillith

Re: Kirby: Sunday School lessons for the foyer crowd.

Post by LadyLillith » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:20 pm

That's a good one.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:30 pm

Nice! :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:33 am

I've spent many Sundays in the foyer with other NOMs. I assume they were NOMs as the TBMs are always in class. I always felt like I got to know people better out in the foyer.
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:30 am

Love this:
Lesson Four: NOYFB — Sex, busybodies, and the sometimes latent voyeurism of ecclesiastical interviews. Figuring out who you should confess your sins to when the only entity that ultimately matters already knows about them.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:17 pm

Yes, this article was great. It's like Kirby is just sitting there daring the hierarchy to do something about him. The moment they do it will be news on more than just the Utah papers. From the point of view of LDS leadership, the safest course of action would be to leave him alone and hope that not too many people take him seriously.

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:07 pm

Corsair wrote:Yes, this article was great. It's like Kirby is just sitting there daring the hierarchy to do something about him. The moment they do it will be news on more than just the Utah papers. From the point of view of LDS leadership, the safest course of action would be to leave him alone and hope that not too many people take him seriously.
Kirby is becoming more bold. He used to just make fun of LDS culture in Utah. In this column he's really calling out the church with that list. In the past he's said he's a believer but I don't think he is anymore. Staying in the church is job security for him though, columns like this one are better if it's coming from a member.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:03 am

Spicy McHaggis wrote:Kirby is becoming more bold. He used to just make fun of LDS culture in Utah. In this column he's really calling out the church with that list. In the past he's said he's a believer but I don't think he is anymore. Staying in the church is job security for him though, columns like this one are better if it's coming from a member.
Right. John Dehlin was in a similar spot and had some additional reliability with believers before he was ex'ed because he was temple rec carrying member. I somehow think that the implied status reduction was a goal of the proceedings. Once Dehlin was excommunicated, believers detected this cultural "loss of virtue" that would make him less credible to the LDS faithful.

shadow

Post by shadow » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:20 pm

Kirby wrote:Lesson Ten: Whose Money Is It Anyway? Technically, the entire world belongs to our Creator (yes, even if said creator is a series of random events), but it's still your choice to pay tithing on what and to whom you think you should.
That's some thinly veiled pay on surplus language there.

Really, the whole list is so logical, pragmatic, and loving--just the sort of thing to really get the 12's garments in a bunch.
"Healing is impossible in loneliness; it is the opposite of loneliness. Conviviality is healing. To be healed we must come with all the other creates to the feast of Creation." --Wendell Berry