Examples that every prophet since JS have been wrong

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Red Ryder

Examples that every prophet since JS have been wrong

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:44 pm

Can we make a list of every prophet Since joseph smith and find an example of them being wrong?

1. Brigham Young

Brigham Young publicly taught that the punishment for black–white interracial marriages was death, and the killing of a black–white interracial couple and their children as part of a blood atonement would be a blessing to them.[32]:37,39[51]

He further stated that interracial children are sterile "like a mule", a teaching later repeated in a church magazine.[48][52] Young taught that the moment the church consents to white members having children with black individuals the church would go to destruction.

Doesn’t look like the church fell into destruction.

Up next John Taylor.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

LSOF

Re: Examples that every prophet since JS have been wrong

Post by LSOF » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:58 pm

John Taylor taught that Cain's lineage (the Black one) was preserved through the flood, "because it was necessary that the Devil should have a representation upon the Earth as well as God." (JoE 22:304)

In 1960, Spencer W Kimball taught that the Native Americans ("Lamanites") were then in the process of having their "curse" of dark skin lifted, due to their assimilation into Mormonism: "The day of the Lamanites is nigh. For years they have been growing delightsome... The children in the home placement program in Utah are often lighter than their brothers and sisters in the hogans on the reservation...There was the doctor in a Utah city who for two years had had an Indian boy in his home who stated that he was some shades lighter than the younger brother just coming into the program from the reservation. These young members of the Church are changing to whiteness and to delightsomeness." (The Improvement Era, Dec. 1960, p. 923)

In 1961, Joseph Fielding Smith said that we would never get a man into space.

In 1967, Ezra Taft Benson taught that the Civil Rights movement was a communist programme for revolution in America. I do believe he also supported the Vietnam War, though I won't say for sure.

Harold B Lee taught that racial minorities and the disabled were born so as a penalty for unfaithfulness or cowardice: "The privilege of obtaining a mortal body on this earth is seemingly so priceless that those in the spirit world, even though unfaithful or not valiant, [some] were undoubtedly permitted to take mortal bodies although under penalty of racial or physical or nationalistic limitations." (Decisions for Successful Living, 1973, Chapter 19)
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:43 am

Gordon B. Hinkley said calling ourselves Mormons is a very GOOD thing. Russell M. Nelson said calling ourselves Mormons is a very BAD thing. One of them was wrong. How are members to know which?

In other news, Pres. Hinkley's death certificate states the cause of death as, "injuries sustained from being rolled over by a bus."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:33 pm

We skipped Howard W. Hunter. He was only prophet for about 3 weeks it seems like…I don’t think he even said anything at all during his tenure. Remember when he was threatened with a bomb at a BYU devotional….his body guard stood up and stood between the bomber and HWH…that’s all I remember about him.
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:44 pm

2bizE wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:33 pm
We skipped Howard W. Hunter. He was only prophet for about 3 weeks it seems like…I don’t think he even said anything at all during his tenure. Remember when he was threatened with a bomb at a BYU devotional….his body guard stood up and stood between the bomber and HWH…that’s all I remember about him.
I think he was my favorite: a) he didn't say a lot of goofy stuff, b) he didn't serve a mission (iirc), and c) he was once in a jazz band.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:28 pm

LSOF wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:58 pm
This was one month after the Deseret News and KSL-TV announced that cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin went into space.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:17 am

moksha wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:28 pm
LSOF wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:58 pm
This was one month after the Deseret News and KSL-TV announced that cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin went into space.
On the other hand, he also taught that if evolution is true, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is false. He got some things right.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:08 pm

Wasn’t it Wilford Woodruff that lies about seeing the founding fathers of the USA and others in the temple and they asking him to do their temple work?
Last edited by 2bizE on Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:41 pm

2bizE wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:08 pm
Wasn’t it Wilford Woodruff that lies about seeing the founding fathers of the USA and others in the temple and they asking him to do his temple work?
Yes it was. http://puremormonism.blogspot.com/2013/ ... -fire.html

And Lorenzo Snow never saw Jesus in the temple. He never claimed he did. The only person who made any such clam was one of his many grandchildren. No one else, not even his counselors and apostles, or any of his wives, ever heard such a claim from him. It's as reliable as the Brigham > Joseph transformation. Yet it has become a sort of doctrine in the same way. I had a temple worker stop me and say, "Look! Right here was where President Snow saw Jesus."

Yup.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:52 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:41 pm
I had a temple worker stop me and say, "Look! Right here was where President Snow saw Jesus."
I thought it was in the post right below this one.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:29 am

Off the top of my head:

Hinkley: (paraphrasing here, don't remember exact wording) "With members work, we can double the number of convert baptisms." IIRC, it peaked the time he made that and has been falling every since.

Nelson: "The fast will turn back COVID-19." Nope. It just went up and up from there.

Of course, the TBM would simply say that they were both conditional prophecies and that members failed to live up to the expectations.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:56 pm

Joseph Fielding Smith:

TK Smoothie

But, along more serious lines, he was rigid that life on this planet has only existed for 7,000 years. BRM got a lot of that from him.

And then you have to start inventing things for the dinosaurs to make it all fit.