Getting Our Own Planet

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Getting Our Own Planet

Post by moksha » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:22 pm

Looking for a definitive answer on when you will get your own planet? The latest Mormon Stories Live Podcast will help try and answer that question for you, but let's face it, most of them will be gas giants and there will be a lot of small rocky planetoids like Pluto. Still, there should be no reason your worshippers cannot enjoy a modified version of
NOM 3.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVohPeLyrjo
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Re: Getting Our Own Planet

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:24 am

This is one of those Mormon sneak-arounds that stretches my eye rolling ability to painful limits. The Gospel Topic essay calls the idea of people receiving their own planet "a cartoonish image." And it is. They wouldn't dream of plainly stating the actual doctrine. They won't clarify that it is cartoonish because it is oversimplified, and that these people think they will actually become gods, just like The God, who create entire universes with untold quadrillions of fawning worshippers who must be either rewarded or punished for eternity depending on their devotion to a guy who became their god by swearing secret oaths, paying tithing, doing his home teaching, and avoiding tea.

The whole picture is anything but cartoonish. Nothing cartoonish about unmitigated megalomania.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:46 am

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:23 am

"Getting your own planet" question for NOM-ites: As believers, how many of you were really "set" on getting your on planet in the afterlife? How 'bout becoming a god?

I don't remember thinking about either of those two things much as a believer. In fact, even as a believer, I remember not really looking forward to any versions of MORmON afterlife that I foresaw. For instance: If the MORmON afterlife was anything like the MORmON temple, I wanted nothing to do with it.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:06 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:23 am
"Getting your own planet" question for NOM-ites: As believers, how many of you were really "set" on getting your on planet in the afterlife? How 'bout becoming a god?
Being a convert I thought it was weird, but it was also being told to me as I was going through the temple which was a horrible experience.

My mother in law absolutely believed it and talked about how she had thought about how she would design her planet, so it was clear to me that at least they believed without question that it was a sure thing.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:32 pm

Here is an explanation that I came up with. This is me TBM Whispering here.

People ask "Do Mormons believe that they will get their own planet?" Church says they do not.

Mormons believe that they will get many planets. We know God has at least Kolob and Earth. The BoA says that god created "worlds without number."

So back to the question. "Do Mormons believe that they will get their own planet?" That is planet, singular. According to everything the church teaches, No, we do not believe that on a purely technical basis. We believe that Mormons will get planets, plural.

So the church is able to be completely honest here by simply taking it very literally. They may not be lying for the lord, but they sure are splitting hairs for the lord.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:08 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:32 pm
So the church is able to be completely honest here by simply taking it very literally. They may not be lying for the lord, but they sure are splitting hairs for the lord.
I believe the term you're looking for here is: "Carefully Worded Denial™"

The non-gaslight definition of the term "Carefully Worded Denial™" is: Lying.

Here's a hint for you COB lurkers: It makes no difference how many times the Board of Directors of LDS-Inc. (Q15) tries to redefine things, they are dishonest, and they are liars. (I'll also include all of the "GA's" below the Q15 with the Board of Directors who do the same thing.)

Just for fun, let's post this again: (Emphasis by Yours Truly.)
Gospel Principles Chapter 31: Honesty wrote:Lying is intentionally deceiving others. Bearing false witness is one form of lying. The Lord gave this commandment to the children of Israel: “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour” (Exodus 20:16). Jesus also taught this when He was on earth (see Matthew 19:18). There are many other forms of lying. When we speak untruths, we are guilty of lying. We can also intentionally deceive others by a gesture or a look, by silence, or by telling only part of the truth. Whenever we lead people in any way to believe something that is not true, we are not being honest.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:54 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
We know God has at least Kolob and Earth.
The BoA facsimiles mention 15 stargates, so I would assume that would correspond to 15 planets. Too bad the stargate control mechanism had been scattered to the four corners by the ancient inhabitants. I think the Kirkland Alphabet could have helped us decipher the Reformed Egyptian chevrons on the Kae-e-vanrash panel.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:38 am

moksha wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:54 pm
Just This Guy wrote:
We know God has at least Kolob and Earth.
The BoA facsimiles mention 15 stargates, so I would assume that would correspond to 15 planets. Too bad the stargate control mechanism had been scattered to the four corners by the ancient inhabitants. I think the Kirkland Alphabet could have helped us decipher the Reformed Egyptian chevrons on the Kae-e-vanrash panel.
I thought it was buried under the ice in Antarctica.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:39 pm

I looked up some stuff that Brigham Young said about God in the manual "Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Brigham Young." The introduction to chapter 4 about the Godhead caught my attention:
President Brigham Young taught the Latter-day Saints to worship God the Father and address prayers to Him in the name of Jesus Christ. He taught further that God the Father was once a man on another planet who “passed the ordeals we are now passing through; he has received an experience, has suffered and enjoyed, and knows all that we know regarding the toils, sufferings, life and death of this mortality”
The whole notion that these things were never taught is contradicted by the church's own materials. The leadership will say anything to calm whatever group they are talking to at the moment.

Edit: Of course, BY's statement should be understood in light of his Adam/God beliefs.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:21 pm

From the 1945 Melchizedek Priesthood manual, The Gospel Through the Ages by Milton R. Hunter, president of the Quorum of Seventy:

"It is our purpose in this chapter to show that since mortal beings are the spirit children of Heavenly Parents, as pointed out in the last chapter, the ultimate possibility is for some of them to become exalted to Godhood." (p. 104)

"President Joseph F. Smith declared that 'God himself is an exalted man, perfected, enthroned and supreme." (p. 104)

"Elder Orson Hyde, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve, said: "remember that God our Heavenly Father was perhaps once a child, and mortal like we are, and rose step by step in the scale of progress, in the school of advancement; has moved forward and overcome until He has arrived at the point where He now is." (p. 104-105)

"God Himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens!" Joseph Smith (p. 105)

"As man is, God once was; as God is man may become," Lorenzo Snow (p.105)

"Abraham, Isaac and Jacob 'have entered into their exaltation according to the promises, and sit upon thrones, and are not angels but are Gods" (D&C 132:37). (p. 106)

"God and man are of the same race, differing only in their degrees of advancement." John A. Widtsoe (p. 107)

"Mormonism (gasp! Satan's victory) does not tend to debase God to the level of man, but to exalt man to the perfection of God." Charles W. Penrose (p. 107)

"The first question that may arise in one's mind is, "How can mortals ever become Gods when there is already a supreme being?" ... He will still be God, and even a greater Deity than He is today. This is the doctrine of the plurality of Gods." (p. 107)

"...all of the scriptures proclaim a plurality of Gods." (p. 108)

For some reason this chapter talks a lot about pagan and mystery cult beliefs in deification as evidence that the Mormon teaching is true.

"Therefore, during the early part of the nineteenth century, it required divine revelations from God to the Prophet Joseph Smith and other Mormon (gasp!) leaders to restore to mankind in all of its purity and majesty the eternal truth that the goal of human life is that "men may become Gods." (p. 113)

"Thus all men who ascend to the glorious status of Godhood can do so only by one method - by obedience to all of the principles and ordinances of the Gospel of Jesus Christ." (p. 115)

"...you have got to learn how to be Gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God, the same as all Gods have done before you..." Joseph Smith (p. 116)

"Men become like God not by some supernatural or sudden change, either in this world or another, but by the natural development of the divinity within. Time, circumstances, and the necessary intelligence are all that are required." Charles W. Penrose (p. 116)

"The person who drinks deeply of the fountain of such virtues as love, honesty... and eliminating all vice and sins from his thoughts and actions, is following the avenue to Godhood." (p. 117)

----
They can backtrack all they want, but in my father's generation it was plainly and intentionally taught to the priesthood quorums, not merely that a good Latter-Day Saint could not only have his only planet, but become a god, exactly as Elohim is.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:31 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:21 pm
"...all of the scriptures proclaim a plurality of Gods." (p. 108)
It is those pesky monotheistic religions that are causing this equivocation of our Mormon roots. Celestial bound Mormon males would get to be gods with their own planets and have a plurality (harem) of wives for endless celestial sex and to populate their new planets. Darn you monotheists for making us hide our light under bushels!!!
-- Moksha