Temple Garments discussed in the New York Times

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Fifi de la Vergne

Temple Garments discussed in the New York Times

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:15 am

The headline:

Among Mormon Women, Frank Talk About Sacred Underclothes
Frustrated by itchy, constrictive church-designed garments, they are asking for better fit, more options and “buttery soft fabric.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/21/us/m ... ime-weight
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

jfro18

Re: Temple Garments discussed in the New York Times

Post by jfro18 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:44 am

Oh boy that is going to anger the deznat types out there.

Garments are awful - they are uncomfortable, incredibly hot in the summer, very culty, beyond unattractive, and are covered with Masonic symbols. They are something that I think would be gone if they weren't so closely tied to the "restoration" of the endowment because the only thing they provide the church is control, which is obviously a big thing but one that has a lot of baggage that comes with it.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:11 am

Amazing article. These are real problems with garments that the church pretty much ignores. I really like the idea of having a ring or some other method for reminding people of their covenants. As for me, I no longer wear my garment tops outside….
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:40 am

Oops. Looks like Fifi beat me to posting this.

I’ll bet the lady pushing for change on Instagram will get pushed into silence. Or she’ll just stop wearing her garments and quietly back away.

Personally I hope they protest the COB.

Could you imagine if +500 women marched around the COB holding signs that read “Let our vaginas breathe!” and chanting we want better underwear!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:46 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:40 am
Could you imagine if +500 women marched around the COB holding signs that read “Let our vaginas breathe!” and chanting we want better underwear!
This should have been the tactic of Ordain Women seven years ago instead of just standing at the door of the priesthood session of conference. I know which video I would have preferred to watch.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:28 pm

My guess is that the Church will respond by ex-communicating all the women mentioned, and potentially all those who have requested a non-synthetic fabric for their underwear. Church spokesman, C. Nehi Stockings, will add, "It's dry silk or the highway, ladies".
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:10 am

Relief Society sisters should start setting up their vinyl cutting machines to create beautiful script of a quote from the article to adorn Relief society room walls: “My vagina has to breathe.”
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."