Corsair Speaks at Sunstone Yet Again

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Corsair

Corsair Speaks at Sunstone Yet Again

Post by Corsair » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:53 pm

About 6 hours before the final deadline for the 2021 Sunstone Symposium speaker registration, I came up with a crazy idea and submitted it. I have to be honest that it does not appear difficult to get to speak at Sunstone.

In any case, I will be presenting "One Thousand Years of Mormonism" at 8:30 AM MDT (7:30 PDT/AZ) on Friday, July 30. I will be doing a virtual presentation like last year. If you would like to attend, registration is at https://sunstonemagazine.com/registration/

The abstract I presented is:
No Kidding, Corsair actually wrote:What could Mormonism look like upon reaching the one thousandth anniversary since the Restoration? We start with a premise that Mormonism does become a surviving belief system into the future of humanity and various ways it could develop. Comparison will be made with other belief systems and social structures that have survived long periods of time. Expectations for 21st century Mormons will be proposed.
If you are interested in attending, the presentation will also feature a Restoration narrative you have never heard about, a calculated projection of resignations, a brief history of one of the worst decisions of the Catholic church, and the unintentionally hilarious future of what happens when 120 billion dollars is left in the bank for a thousand years. I will also leave attendees with an "I can't believe no one thought of this" equation that will immediately let you know if the LDS is growing or declining. Plus you will get to see my epic beard and learn my real name.

As usual, I will also have slide deck with far more numbers and equations than should appear in a religious presentation. But I'm a programmer and simply cannot help myself. Come join me at the 2021 Sunstone Symposium! Attendance will make sure that you never get called into leadership in your ward. (Sorry, Graey)

Red Ryder

Re: Corsair Speaks at Sunstone Yet Again

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:26 pm

Wow and to think you did this without any arm twisting.

Excited to hear more about it.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:07 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:26 pm
Wow and to think you did this without any arm twisting.
I'm hoping that I get invited to the cool kids parties once the Symposium goes back to fully in-person.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:55 am

Corsair wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:07 pm
I'm hoping that I get invited to the cool kids' parties once the Symposium goes back to fully in-person.
You could always hook up with RFM, Kerry Shirts, Kishkumen, Ed Goble, and Maxine Hanks after their presentation.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:11 am

Very cool - I'd love to go out there one year and meet some of you all, but it's pretty cool that you volunteered to speak there again. It sounds like a fun experience and your topic sounds really interesting. :)

sparky

Post by sparky » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:57 am

This sounds like a fascinating original idea. Just a suggestion--you should at least mention the brilliant Mormon subplot in The Expanse series!

stuck

Post by stuck » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:13 am

That is great Corsair! If I can't make it, can we see it online later?

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:56 am

stuck wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:13 am
That is great Corsair! If I can't make it, can we see it online later?
Yes, Sunstone makes all the presentations available after the Symposium.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:58 am

sparky wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:57 am
This sounds like a fascinating original idea. Just a suggestion--you should at least mention the brilliant Mormon subplot in The Expanse series!
It was almost uncomfortable to watch those scenes with young missionaries inviting various Belters to game nights and firesides. But at least we now know that the LDS church is saving money to build a gigantic space ship.