More Conference Sessions added

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
2bizE

More Conference Sessions added

Post by 2bizE » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:08 pm

And we thought we were done with Saturday evening sessions…now a new Saturday session for all is being added…
https://www.ksl.com/article/50212749/ch ... conference

Discuss :)
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Re: More Conference Sessions added

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:42 pm

“We recognize the increasing challenges facing members of the Church worldwide in our day. An important way to fortify against these challenges comes through hearing the word of God (see Alma 31:5). Therefore, after additional study and prayer, we have felt impressed to continue to hold the Saturday evening session of general conference.”

“We thank the Lord for His direction in this matter.“

The Lord sure likes to change his mind.

Too bad the oral sex ban didn’t get reversed with similar gusto!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:15 pm

I wonder what the focus of this session will be? Just the regular yawn-drawing agony from the other sessions, or maybe they will use it to allow women, youth, and minorities to speak.
~2bizE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:39 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:42 pm
The Lord sure likes to change his mind.
He was a little bit quicker on the draw this time though.

"Revelations" are coming and going within months now!

Or... Maybe Rusty replaced the batteries in his magick revelatory lighted pen? :mrgreen:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

AdmiralHoldo

Post by AdmiralHoldo » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:44 pm

Oh, thank GOD. As a woman, I was getting so sick of having to spend ONE MEETING A YEAR listening to 2 or more female voices. It truly is an answer to my prayers that it has been replaced by a session with NO female speakers or at most ONE female speaker.

#tendermercies
Last edited by AdmiralHoldo on Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:50 pm

hahaha

They cite the "line upon line" idea to explain why God changed his mind just seven weeks after dumping the session... truly amazing.

I'd say "HOW CAN MEMBERS NOT SEE THROUGH THIS," but we already know that it won't cause anyone to second guess the leaders.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:26 pm

2bizE wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:15 pm
... or maybe they will use it to allow women, youth, and minorities to speak.
Perhaps they will have representatives on hand from the various advertisers who hawk their LDS-aimed products on KSL right after General Conference. Various food storage, survival gear, gun salesmen, and scripture vendors so the Saints can ponder their products.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:02 am

Must have been pressure from Ice Cream sellers in Utah fearing lost business on their two busiest nights of the year.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

græy

Post by græy » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:04 am

This feels a lot like giving a kid a puppy and then taking it away. Don't they know that's cruel?

I told Mrs Greay that if the first presidency was unsure if Saturday sessions we're needed then if be treating them all as optional from here on out.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:45 am

On one hand, I give any highly visible organization credit for quickly reversing a mistake. It takes guts.

(cue Randy Travis music ...) But on the other hand, they insist on invoking God Almighty. Let's be serious - these aren't serious theologians. To imply God actually had a hand in meeting schedules is to claim that God actively works on the details. He's not a sleepy watchmaker allowing his creation to just run on his design, he's a tinkerer. He fidgets with human endeavors. If so, then God must somehow prioritize what he spends his precious power on. So he either doesn't care about other problems in the world (name one: starvation) or he just cares a little less than he does how many people speak at the semi annual conference of mormons.

And on the third hand, by invoking God they imply that God changes his mind. Fine by me, I like to change my mind. But I'm not Holy God, described in canon as an unchangeable being.

At some point I hope I can finally exhale my last breath of Mormonism and breathe in clean, unindoctrinated air.

AdmiralHoldo

Post by AdmiralHoldo » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:41 am

I mean it took God what, four years to change His almighty mind about the PoX? At least He is speeding up the process. The Lord must have taken some REALLY GOOD vitamin pills.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:09 am

The best part is where they thank the lord for his direction in the matter. :lol:
We thank the Lord for His direction in this matter.
Why preface the whole change with line upon line precept upon precept then say it’s a Jesus decision?

The headline should say “Jesus changed his mind and wants you to attend a gender neutral Saturday session of General Conference where 99% of the speakers will be white men!”

alas

Post by alas » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:35 am

What this change, then change again did was to basically get rid of women’s session. They had already made it so women could listen to the priesthood session, now they have one more session that is most likely 90% men speaking, and they are telling us that it is because the world really needs more direction and advice from them. How arrogant of them and when was the last time any f them actually said anything important or prophetic? When they made women’s session official and priesthood every other year, the first presidency just couldn’t stand to give up that 5th session to mostly female speakers, so the first presidency ALL had to speak, thus reducing the number of women speaking from when we were not officially part of conference. Now, without having to SAY, “we are getting rid of the women’s meeting” they have effectively just gotten rid of women’s meeting. I expect it to become (stay) one more session where we get to hear from the first presidency, and I will be surprised if they allow the normal two women in the 4 regular sessions and 1 in this 5th session. Why didn’t they just say, “we are opening up the Saturday evening session to everyone,” and doing away with gender specific sessions of priesthood and women’s meeting, back 10-15 years ago, and skip making women’s session into women and girls session, then making it officially part of conference, then opening up priesthood so women could hear the broadcast, ….. it just seems like they took forever to get to 5 gender neutral sessions, which for them means 90% male.

Women need to start their own “women’s session” that is not officially part of conference and do it with private donations to rent a place and whatever other expenses there are, you know, just start something independent of the brethren like RS used to be.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:37 pm

alas wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:35 am

Women need to start their own “women’s session” that is not officially part of conference and do it with private donations to rent a place and whatever other expenses there are, you know, just start something independent of the brethren like RS used to be.
Isn’t that called Time Out for Women? :lol:

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:46 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:37 pm
alas wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:35 am

Isn’t that called Time Out for Women? :lol:
Except the men control who speaks at Time Out for Women. If women tried to create a truly female space, they'd get the Kate Kelly treatment very fast. Trying to fight the spiritual monopoly that the Q15 maintain is the second quickest way to get kicked out behind dinking around with the money.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:42 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:02 am
Must have been pressure from Ice Cream sellers in Utah fearing lost business on their two busiest nights of the year.
Maybe Ice Cream Lovin' Jesus showed up at one of the Board of Director's meetings? He Mad! :x
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Advocate

Post by Advocate » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:03 am

Making a general session (where presumably children are supposed to attend/listen) at night will prepare children to realize that they don't need to watch all of conference. Maybe people will keep their kids awake in Utah, but as you head east the session gets later and later (8 to 10 PM eastern). I don't know too many people that will keep kids up to watch conference that late.

In a world where attention spans get shorter and shorter (how long is the average tik-tok video?), LDS Inc. shows they are on the cutting edge by adding another two hours to an already long 8 hours of meetings per weekend. I'm sure this will be just what is needed to keep young people in the church! :lol: :lol:

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:07 pm

græy wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:04 am
This feels a lot like giving a kid a puppy and then taking it away. Don't they know that's cruel?
It reminds me of when Mormons leave a huge wooden horse at the gate to your city. Should you be cautious or bring it into the city?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:00 am

Looking forward to the word Mormon being a defeat for Satan in coming years.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:24 am

Speaking about the use of Mormon I think that term will be in full use right after Rusty goes to the C.K. I dont think it will ever go away as it is ingrained into the tscc.