Introducing "Obscure Mormon Doctrine" - My New Book

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
henrie777

Introducing "Obscure Mormon Doctrine" - My New Book

Post by henrie777 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:12 pm

After years of slow work, I am proud to announce the publication of my new book, "Obscure Mormon Doctrine," on Amazon. Check it out! I'd love to hear any constructive feedback. Chris Jensen

Red Ryder

Re: Introducing "Obscure Mormon Doctrine" - My New Book

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:48 pm

Rather than post and run (for promotional purposes?) maybe you can answer a few questions I have.

What made you decide to write this book?

How has writing this book impacted your faith in Mormonism?

What’s next in your writing career?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:45 pm

this sounds interesting and fun. I'll definitely check it out. :D
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:48 pm

Uh, yeah, I bought this on my kindle. :roll: It relies heavily on a literal understanding of scripture, Joseph Smith, Joseph Fielding Smith, Brigham Young, Bruce R. McConkie, and various other prophets, in that approximate order. :roll: It does include things that will likely never be discussed in General Conference, for example: Blood atonement as understood by Brigham Young and Joseph Fielding Smith, and getting our own planets. It does have a good quote of Joseph Fielding Smith endorsing Utah's old firing squad execution law.
It has cute little asides such as: "It's unclear how the remnants of the alter (at Adam-ondi-ahman) survived Noah's flood." ;)
I'm don't believe Deseret Book will carry it, but I could be wrong. :shock:
Henri 777 isn't a NOM, at least he doesn't come out in his book. :lol:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

henrie777

Post by henrie777 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:17 am

Thanks everyone for your comments and support. I'm out of the church. Here's a recent interview where I explain the book and my position. Hope it helps and that you find it interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b0N6NQn8bs&t=1055s

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:24 pm

Chris, I saw your last post and checked out the video. You "got me" with way you presented the book. :oops: I know I am biased, but I strive to be unbiased. I think you have been helpful. Thanks for your book and your posts. Deacon.

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:55 pm

I just bought it, look forward to it. My wife will see the amazon order and roll her eyes at my millionth mormon book.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:17 am

I have wondered about the planets listed in the Mormon canon, as well as the planets given to the most highly exalted Mormons to govern. Will they all have their own unique history, or will they at some point have a Jesus and Joseph Smith? If so, will these roles be filled by those planets Jesus and Joseph, or does our own Jesus and Joseph do an infinite duty on those other planets?

Was Joseph Smith once the Holy Ghost in these Obscure Mormon Doctrines?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha