Mormon Leaders and "Hate Speech"

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
jfro18

Mormon Leaders and "Hate Speech"

Post by jfro18 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:10 pm

As I've been doing TikTok I have sprinkling in videos that are simply church leaders talking about issues whether it's LGBT, misogyny, etc...

Everything I've done myself that talks about history has been fine, but in the last few weeks I've had *four* videos pulled down for "hate speech."

All four of them are simply church leaders discussing LGBT issues...

I realize that TikTok often responds to users flagging the videos and that they aren't viewing them through a religious lens, but doesn't it tell you something when the leaders of the church are being consistently flagged for violating hate speech?!

moksha

Re: Mormon Leaders and "Hate Speech"

Post by moksha » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:44 pm

The message is being judged for its content without any regard to the Church affiliation or position of the speaker.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:18 pm

I’ve been watching TikTok videos lately and have really enjoyed your videos. They are well done and non contentious. Cause a lot of questions and thoughts. I’ve also noticed some other blogs where they say that they posted a quote or video of a church leader which TikTok removed because the speech or video violated hate speech rules…this is very telling what kind of speeches church leaders are giving.
~2bizE

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:58 pm

2bizE wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:18 pm
I’ve been watching TikTok videos lately and have really enjoyed your videos. They are well done and non contentious. Cause a lot of questions and thoughts. I’ve also noticed some other blogs where they say that they posted a quote or video of a church leader which TikTok removed because the speech or video violated hate speech rules…this is very telling what kind of speeches church leaders are giving.
Thank you... I try really hard to think "would I be embarrassed if my wife's family watched these" and that helps me to not be contentious/obnoxious although I've had plenty of people say I have been both.

I just finished a 24 hour suspension for multiple "hate speech" violations - all four of which were clips that were entirely of church leaders speaking.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:02 am

Where do we find these TikToks?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

acmeist

Post by acmeist » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:49 am

jfro--I watched the one you posted from the church leader meeting with Nelson and Ballard and the guy talking about research on LGBTQ groups. What meeting is that from? Curious--thanks!

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:24 am

acmeist wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:49 am
jfro--I watched the one you posted from the church leader meeting with Nelson and Ballard and the guy talking about research on LGBTQ groups. What meeting is that from? Curious--thanks!
That one was a MormonLeaks video that came out that is believed to have been from around 2012... I need to go into those because they had other clips that were pretty remarkable although I believe the whole videos of those have a ton of boring stuff too.
Hagoth wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:02 am
Where do we find these TikToks?
They're @ http://www.tiktok.com/@ldsdiscussions. I really feel weird doing videos, but now that I've been doing them it's pretty easy until the day comes when one of my in-laws come across them and sound the alarms.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:46 am

Hey, those are great. I like the back and forth dialog in the one about speaking as men/prophets. I've only watched a few, so something to look forward to. Quite a body of work you're building, jfro.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:07 pm

JFro - your stuff is awesome! That video of the US Senator talking needs more exposure!

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:35 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:46 am
Hey, those are great. I like the back and forth dialog in the one about speaking as men/prophets. I've only watched a few, so something to look forward to. Quite a body of work you're building, jfro.
Those are fun - they take about 20 minutes just because of editing it together, but I can't bring myself to really make fun of church stuff so they're probably too tame.

Hagoth if you are going to spend time on TikTok, I'd recommend this guy to check out: https://www.tiktok.com/@maklelan

He works for the church but reminds me of David Bokovoy in that he's pretty honest about what the bible is and is not, but he does not go into what that means for the church's claims (he's big on the idea that he'll take data, but not dogma). I have to admit I find his videos to be great and honest esp when it can be problematic for church claims.
Yobispo wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:07 pm
JFro - your stuff is awesome! That video of the US Senator talking needs more exposure!
I need to find those clips and see how long they are... I had some more LGBT clips from church leaders ready to post but since I just got suspended I'm going to hold off on that for now. Ugh.