Greek Mythology

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
2bizE

Greek Mythology

Post by 2bizE » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:24 pm

It seems like everyone understands that Greek Mythology is not real. Maybe this is because it is so ancient. Was there a time when people on earth fully believed in Greek Mythology in the same way that people believe in Christianity and other religions today? Is Greek Mythology a extinct religion that Mormonism could resemble some day?
~2bizE

Hagoth

Re: Greek Mythology

Post by Hagoth » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:07 am

I'm sure some people thought the Greek myths were real, probably a higher percentage among the less educated population, but we know that a lot of educated people didn't take them literally. In fact, some of the philosophers talked about "God" as a single identity. And some were entirely atheistic toward the gods, even though they saw symbolic value in the myths. I can't recall which Greek philosopher actually thought the myths were dangerous and shouldn't be taught to young people because the gods' behavior was so often immoral and capricious.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:21 am

For that matter, I doubt the stories that ended up in the Bible were taken too literally until fairly recent times. Ancient people didn't seem to have quite the same attitude we have about facts, and were less concerned about things like contradictions between narratives. Stories were accepted and propagated for their symbolic and community value. In the age of science it's more important to faithful people that their beliefs are met with the same level of literal acceptance as empirical facts. I doubt you would have seen ancient people bearing tearful testimony over and over again that they KNOW the Abraham story is true with every fiber of their being.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:52 am

Of course, the real religion of the Greeks was found in the mystery traditions, like Eleusis, that are only hinted at in the mythology. That religion's roots are older than the Greek pantheon and much closer to the human mystical experience that we find in other ancient mystical experiences.