Robes of Priesthood and Academia

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
2bizE

Robes of Priesthood and Academia

Post by 2bizE » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:01 am

There was a post on MDD that suggested the robes that academia wear at graduation ceremonies were derived from the robes of the priesthood. He suggests this is how the temple has influenced academia.

Does anyone have insight into this?

https://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/73 ... %E2%80%8B/

https://graduation-gowns.co.uk/blog/the ... dress.html
~2bizE

Just This Guy

Re: Robes of Priesthood and Academia

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:35 am

My DF is BYU alumi. According to him, there was a talk given at a BYU* Graduation where Hugh Nibley** said "We are gathered together today in the robes of an apostate priesthood." This would have been given in the Late 70's or earlier. DF told me this story in the mid 90's. At best you can consider this 3rd hand info. More likely just a faith-promoting-rumor. But the idea of anything that resembles temple robs is somehow a corruption of the "true" religion is common.

To look into the history, the modern form of Universities and Colleges were started in the 13th and 14th centuries.*** At the time, they were started by the churches of the area. So the robes evolved from the Monk's robes. For a long time they were a way for the wealth elite to separate themselves from the poor masses.

The basic of the graduation cap goes back to the 15th Century. Robes are even older. So ironically, the graduation robe is older than Masonry that Mormonism stole most of the temple ceremony from. However, if the temple ceremony was lost in the 1st century CE, the temple robe disappeared for a millennia and a half, so it' hard to say that it was somehow preserved.

Mormons will claim anything that remotely looks like what they have as being somehow a proof that they are true, regardless of actual historical evidence.

* Ricks?
** BKP?, Joseph Fielding Smith?
*** https://www.herffjones.com/resources/gr ... and-gowns/
Last edited by Just This Guy on Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:57 pm

2bizE wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:01 am
There was a post on MDD that suggested the robes that academia wear at graduation ceremonies were derived from the robes of the priesthood.
Oh please...

Someone should tell him that the Greek Gods were the ones who invented Togas.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:07 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:35 am
My DF is BYU alumi. According to him, there was a talk given at a BYU* Graduation where Hugh Nibley* said "We are gathered together today in the robes of an apostate priesthood." This would have been given in the Late 70's or earlier. DF told me this story in the mid 90's. At best you can consider this 3rd hand info. More likely just a faith-promoting-rumor. But the idea of anything that resembles temple robs is somehow a corruption of the "true" religion is common.
I don't know much about robes and the priesthood, but I know Hugh Nibley owned up to saying this. Read here:
https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/hugh-nib ... -managers/

I think this talk is amazing in its ability to skewer the leadership of the church in a completely faithful way.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:02 pm

Mormons get their priesthood gear from Free Mason ceremonies, not from academic apparel. Academic robes came from an altered form of the Catholic cleric's apparel of that time.

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:31 am

blazerb wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:07 pm
Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:35 am
My DF is BYU alumi. According to him, there was a talk given at a BYU* Graduation where Hugh Nibley* said "We are gathered together today in the robes of an apostate priesthood." This would have been given in the Late 70's or earlier. DF told me this story in the mid 90's. At best you can consider this 3rd hand info. More likely just a faith-promoting-rumor. But the idea of anything that resembles temple robs is somehow a corruption of the "true" religion is common.
I don't know much about robes and the priesthood, but I know Hugh Nibley owned up to saying this. Read here:
https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/hugh-nib ... -managers/

I think this talk is amazing in its ability to skewer the leadership of the church in a completely faithful way.

Okay, that is rather surprising. I always assumed that was one of those apocryphal fish stories from BYU. Here I find out it actually happened.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:51 am

I think Hugh Hefner wore the true robe of the priesthood.

Or was that the true house coat of the Celestial Kingdom? The one True robe? The sure sign of getting nailed by playboy bunnies. The one true symbol of the celestial kingdom?

And speaking of graduation caps, both Mormons and graduates flip a part of their gear from one side of the body to the other. The main difference though is graduates choose their own underwear.

Whose the smarter person now?

Take that, stupid MDD temple justification rationalized. Common sense tells us Joseph Smith made plagiarized it.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:39 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:02 pm
Mormons get their priesthood gear from Free Mason ceremonies...
Holiness to the Lord, bro.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."