Recent temple procedural adjustments

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
no1saint

Recent temple procedural adjustments

Post by no1saint » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:01 am

RMN went to great length to set the scene to legitimise a quote “recent procedural adjustments” close quote, to the endowment. Does anyone know what this is referring to?

Red Ryder

Re: Recent temple procedural adjustments

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:43 am

no1saint wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:01 am
RMN went to great length to set the scene to legitimise a quote “recent procedural adjustments” close quote, to the endowment. Does anyone know what this is referring to?
Sister R went last week and said they eliminated the physical contact handshaking stuff. Didn’t allude to anything else though and thought it was Covid related change.

I’m guessing he’s setting the members up for more changes to come?

I think he said to make it more comfortable for everyone which has to mean they’re eliminating garments. I mean I’d go back if they eliminated garments altogether. 😂
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:48 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:43 am
no1saint wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:01 am
Sister R went last week and said they eliminated the physical contact handshaking stuff. Didn’t allude to anything else though and thought it was Covid related change.

I’m guessing he’s setting the members up for more changes to come?

I think he said to make it more comfortable for everyone which has to mean they’re eliminating garments. I mean I’d go back if they eliminated garments altogether. 😂
That makes sense. I wonder what future changes might come. He seemed to highlight a simplification to the process. I think a lot of people will rejoice when the garments are temple only.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:17 pm

They will bring back the slit-your-throat penalty but apply it to evil speaking of the Lord's anointed.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:19 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:17 pm
They will bring back the slit-your-throat penalty but apply it to evil speaking of the Lord's anointed.
This made me chuckle.

In all seriousness though, the current rapid rebranding of Mormon Inc. (To steal the headline from Time Magazine in the 90’s) is fascinating. I would love to see an on depth anaylysis by a religious expert completely unconnected and contrast ans compare 200 years of Mormon development in comparison to other historic religous/faith groups that peaked and slowly died out.

AdmiralHoldo

Post by AdmiralHoldo » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:05 am

Red Ryder wrote:

How will we know how to get into heaven if they eliminate the handshakes???

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:06 am

Red Ryder wrote:
That's interesting as I just read on another Mormon Forum that rumors are (from a few "insiders") that the leaders are soon to announce that garments are only to be worn inside the temple. They say that many of the younger couples don't want to wear garments and some are choosing not to marry in the temple to avoid having to wear them.

Of course, if this is done, many older members will really throw a fit (how will they know who is "worthy"??? LOL). But, I think the leaders will spin it with how it is going back to how garments were originally worn when first introduced. Some speculated as to whether or not it will even be allowed to wear them outside of the temple as many members will still want to.

If they do make this change, it will be fascinating to watch!
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:48 am

They also have a garment supply issue. I ordered some and it took 6 months to get them.

Granted supply issues should be a short term problem but it could be a contributor to any decision. People that want garments but can't get them for months and months on end. Like people that receive the endowment and there are no garments to be had. If they made garments temple only suddenly all the endowed members only need one pair, reducing demand.

It was my understanding that they haven't removed the tokens from the endowment, they just limited doing them mid-session to the Adam and Eve proxy couple. It's also my understanding that everyone does them at the veil.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:28 am

I recommend a new daily ritual in place of the physical undergarment. You face the nearest temple and draw a finger across your body in all of the right places in the shapes of invisible garment markings while whispering the names and signs quietly to yourself.

Virtual garments will prove equally protective as physical garments and people will actually think about what they mean at least once a day. Of course, this is extremely hard to monetize.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:42 am

AllieOop wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:06 am
That's interesting as I just read on another Mormon Forum that rumors are (from a few "insiders") that the leaders are soon to announce that garments are only to be worn inside the temple. They say that many of the younger couples don't want to wear garments and some are choosing not to marry in the temple to avoid having to wear them.

If they do make this change, it will be fascinating to watch!
I feel like I've seen this rumor in some form over the last 3 years consistently... and every time I am let down when it doesn't happen!

The real question is whether or not DW would actually stop wearing them if they removed the requirement or not. She knows how much I hate garments, but I think she also would rather die than give in to anything church related as well... I don't think it's going to happen, but I have to hope!

AdmiralHoldo

Post by AdmiralHoldo » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:16 pm

I don't see garments going away. They like having that level of control over women's bodies.