Bednar debacle

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Palerider

Bednar debacle

Post by Palerider » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:56 pm

Bednar's talk was....what can I say.....just STUPID.

It made me wonder if these guys really have any true understanding of the scriptures.

He starts out being so vague about what this divorced sister wanted. "Justice and accountability".

Well, exactly in what aspect? Did she want child support? Did she want alimony until she could become self-sufficient? Did she want full custody because he was an unfit father? Did she feel that he should be disfellowshipped or excommunicated? (Sorry, have a membership court).

I thought that part of the process of repentance required "restitution" to the degree possible? Was the ex-husband getting a pass here? I also thought that as members we are to obey the laws of the land. Is Bednar suggesting that since the Savior had forgiven the sins of the husband (conditional upon his repentance) that the laws of the land or the policies of the church could now be ignored?

Is that the same tack Bednar proposes to take for wife beaters and child abusers? That going to jail for their crimes would be paying the price of sin "twice"???

In my book, Christ pays the ETERNAL debt that sin incurs. The Atonement does not save us from the consequences of sin in this life. How many times have we heard this from church leadership, "There are consequences that come from sin that occur in THIS life and the Atonement doesn't save you from them. It's a part of life.

Secondly, why does it always have to be a wife that needs to do the forgiving in these stories? Why is it never a story about the husband who needs some serious damn repenting and who should be doing everything to ameliorate a wife who's heart has been broken, betrayed and crushed?

I'm starting to get the feeling that Bednar has what might be termed "EDD". Empathy deficit disorder. One of the signs of EDD is someone who is so utterly convinced of their own "rightness" that they have an inability to see another person's point of view. It is a common malady of narcissists who are caught up in their own importance.

Poor understanding of the scriptures.
Poor understanding of the Atonement.
Poor understanding of other's circumstances and emotions.
Poor message given to the women of the church.

Poor........example of a man.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Cnsl1

Re: Bednar debacle

Post by Cnsl1 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:33 pm

Repenting might make you square with the Lord, but I'm afraid the state of Mississippi is a little more hard nosed.

I agree, narcissism abounds in Bednar.

AdmiralHoldo

Post by AdmiralHoldo » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:31 pm

What do you mean, STARTING to get the feeling that he's not capable of empathy? It's practically tattooed on his forehead.

(I'm married to a man who will give empathy to others, but not to me. It sucks. I really debate if I want to come when he calls my name through the veil, or just pretend I didn't hear him.)

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:08 am

AdmiralHoldo wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:31 pm
(I'm married to a man who will give empathy to others, but not to me. It sucks. I really debate if I want to come when he calls my name through the veil, or just pretend I didn't hear him.)
Just conveniently forget your "New Name." ;)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:25 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:08 am
AdmiralHoldo wrote:
I forgot Mrs. Hagoth's, so it's eternity standing at the veil trying to jog my memory for us.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:58 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:25 pm
wtfluff wrote:
AdmiralHoldo wrote:
I forgot Mrs. Hagoth's, so it's eternity standing at the veil trying to jog my memory for us.
I guess I shouldn't tell you that "They have a website for that" - jogging your memory about secret new names... (Oops.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:29 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:58 pm
Hagoth wrote:
wtfluff wrote:

I guess I shouldn't tell you that "They have a website for that" - jogging your memory about secret new names... (Oops.)
Ha! Remember at our lunch when I mentioned my niece was getting her endowment and we looked up her name in the oracle?

I spent every moment I could throwing that name around into conversations etc with zero response.

I don’t think she ever really pays attention to what I say but I thought it would be funny. I even texted her a fake text from a friends phone.

#TempleMindGames
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:22 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:29 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Hagoth wrote:

Ha! Remember at our lunch when I mentioned my niece was getting her endowment and we looked up her name in the oracle?

I spent every moment I could throwing that name around into conversations etc with zero response.

I don’t think she ever really pays attention to what I say but I thought it would be funny. I even texted her a fake text from a friends phone.

#TempleMindGames
Zioks! What happens during MORmON Milenium if you forget your own super-secret name???

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:54 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:22 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
wtfluff wrote:

#TempleMindGames
Zioks! What happens during MORmON Milenium if you forget your own super-secret name???
The nice old helper person at the veil will just send us back to the telestial where we can continue to smoke more weed, listen to Hendrix, and play xBox.
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

Phil Lurkerman

Post by Phil Lurkerman » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:24 pm

SincereInquirer wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:54 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:22 pm
Red Ryder wrote:

#TempleMindGames
The nice old helper person at the veil will just send us back to the telestial where we can continue to smoke more weed, listen to Hendrix, and play xBox.
Hendrix? Sign me up!
I was once a cafeteria Mormon on a hunger strike. Have since found a buffet elsewhere.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:02 pm

I’m glad I didn’t listen to this conference talk.
~2bizE

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:33 am

This is for Palerider Bednar is totally stuck on himself. Especially when he told a sister : "Sister everything I say is scripture". Not sure when he said that but it was the past 5 years for sure.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:38 pm

Did anyone see the Bednar Video where he pulled that kid out of the audience and demonstrated how reading scriptures and obeying commandments keeps you from “crossing the line”. He used the rug as the analogy and walked the kid up and down the rug.

Then leaned on him holding him tight, telling him to walk. The poor kid was crying by the end. His personal space completely invaded by an old man groping him? It’s creepy and the man should not be touching that kid. At all.

Edited to add YouTube video.

https://youtu.be/ftp4-kT9VSg
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:26 pm

Mackman wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:33 am
This is for Palerider Bednar is totally stuck on himself. Especially when he told a sister : "Sister everything I say is scripture". Not sure when he said that but it was the past 5 years for sure.
It was worse than that, IMO. He reportedly said, "I am scripture!" An admittedly second hand source: https://bloggernacleblogdotcom.wordpres ... scripture/

Bednar is completely stuck on himself. He feels that everyone should be falling all over themselves to get to ask him questions. Then, he will change your question to the one he thinks you should have asked. The way he treats people is abhorrent.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:21 pm

blazerb wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:26 pm
The way he treats people is abhorrent.
Maybe it would actually be a good thing to have him as prophet. The true face of Mormonism finally revealed. 🤔
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:41 pm

Palerider wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:21 pm
blazerb wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:26 pm
The way he treats people is abhorrent.
Maybe it would actually be a good thing to have him as prophet. The true face of Mormonism finally revealed. 🤔
I feel like Bednar was called by Hinckley specifically to be president someday. They knew he was young when he was made an apostle. Hinckley had to know what that would mean. I wonder how poorly Gordon knew him. Or maybe Gordon wanted to sabotage the church. :shock: